SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:51 pm

STARRETT LAST WORD

I thought the asking price was just right for this STARRETT last word indicator, so I bought it. I have wanted one of these indicators since I saw Adam Booth, aka A-bomb 79, of You Tube fame show how he uses his indicator. This indicator is accurate to .0005".
I do not need to work to tolerances that close, but, it will another fun tool that I might need twice a year.
Attachments
STARRETT LAST WORD.jpg
STARRETT last word
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm

CRAFTSMAN MACHINIST TOOLBOX

So, I was telling myself, NNS, you do not need any more stuff. I was browsing Craigslist. In a New York Minute my resolve started to dissolve and I messaged the seller. She had a really nice CRAFTSMAN/KENNEDY machinist's toolbox, with the key. The price was only $75. Twenty six predicted minutes of driving time, through a blinding monsoon, , turned into 38 minutes of poor visibility. The monsoon had overwhelmed the drains and much of the drive was through curb deep water.
Attachments
MACHINIST TOOLBOX RIGHT.jpg
MACHINIST TOOLBOX OPEN LEFT.jpg
MACHINIST TOOLBOX CLOSED.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:05 pm

A TIP ON POSTING ON CL.

I have a 100 year old post drill advertised on Craigslist. I got a response from a female person who is interested in buying the Arm and Hammer anvil that she can see in the background. I suppose I should have been more careful, but, it does not matter this time. I should have known better and there will not be a next time, hopefully.
I won the bidding, for the anvil, at the auction of Pacific International Trucks in Vancouver. That was about 28 years ago.
My daughter teaches shop practices which include coding, robotics. She also teaches metal forming techniques and how to safely operate metal shop machinery. I will most likely give the anvil and post drill to her. She will probably end up with the contents of my shop.
Attachments
POST DRILL4.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 am

Re: SECOND HAND STORE FIND

that is great that your daughter has those interests. none of my three sons seem interested at all in the old car stuff and shop activities. I must have failed as a parent somewhere along the line.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:15 pm

BEACH MACHINIST TOOLBOX

Craigslist comes through once again. :m03104: I do not think having two of these machinist toolboxes is too many. Both of the machinist boxes I found on CL in the last 10 days are made by BEACH CANADA. Today's find has BEACH livery and the other box has CRAFTSMAN livery. Other than one box being gray and today's better find being green, they are identical. My spell-check wanted to change identical to testicle, that is just nuts.
I have wanted one of these toolboxes for decades but I thought they were too expensive, now I have two very good condition MTB for less than the price of an oil-change on my Cummins Ram pickup.
Attachments
MACHINIST TOOLBOX BEACH 1.jpg
It is a real "Beach"
MACHINIST TOOLBOX BEACH 2.jpg
MACHINIST TOOLBOX BEACH 4.jpg
MACHINIST TOOLBOX BEACH 3.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 pm

POWER HACKSAW

I was back on Craigslist this morning and looking for nothing in particular and looking at everything. Last time a power hacksaw showed up for sale on CL, I hesitated and lost the opportunity. So, this time and only minutes after the seller posted this KELLER HACK SAW, I was on it like a dog on a bone. Anyway, the hacksaw is home and I am so very pleased to have it.
Tools like this are as much art as they are working machines. The complicated levers and cogs that drive the saw bar are intriguing. The saw table clamp is ingenious.
I will be replacing the three phase motor with something that will work in my shop. I like 220 volt, so that is what it will get. I'm going back to CL to look for a BALDOR .5hp single phase.
Attachments
HACKSAW 7.jpg
HACKSAW 6.jpg
HACKSAW 5.jpg
HACKSAW 4.jpg
HAKSAW 3.jpg
HACKSAW 2.jpg
HACKSAW 1.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:49 pm

My fridge crapped out so I've been cruising craigslist for something affordable. Wasn't having much luck there so ran by a local used appliance place. They got this GE fridge in yesterday, brand new, just some scratches and minor dents. $600.

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Our LG fridge looks like yours. My wife paid over $4000 for it at a big appliance store. I bought the big wood block from a Craigslist seller. The block was $400 and it weighs about 500#..
Attachments
Kitchen Wood Idol.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:41 am

That looks like one of the three same GE refrigerators we returned because of dents. Ours has the Keurig coffee in the door.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Craigslist lucky once again. The seller lives near the top of a mountain east of Mission, BC. The snow in his driveway was about 12 inches and very heavy from the melting temperatures. I put my truck in 4X4 and backed up the circular driveway around to the back of the seller's shop. There are more of these cabinets available. I said I would take them all, but not today. At $35 each this is a good deal.
The public roads have bear warning signs posted every kilometer or so. One of the CAUTION WATCH FOR BEARS sign had an addition at the bottom, AND MY WIFE.
Attachments
cabinet with 9 drawers.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion