SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Im sure you guys would have a field day if you lived in the UK, our warehouse has now closed down and everything has gone to auction....breaks my heart looking at this stuff. However a lot of people will get a a lot of cheap machinery and tooling. Luke
http://auction.newengland.co.uk/lots/au ... fes?page=1

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Second-hand store find, today.
While not original books, this appears to be a well done two side copy like they do at Staples. The stack of pages are nearly 4 inches thick.
There is more than 500 pages of parts, how to install them and torque AND clearance specifications on everything from the front axle, cooling systems, engine, transmissions, and the differential.
The cab, box and other sheetmetal is shown in detail along with the different heater and wiper options and the door parts.
I do not know what my short or long term plans are for this set of service and parts manuals. I can be tempted with offers.
Attachments
SHOP SERVICE AND PARETS MANUALS..jpg
SERVICE AND PARTS MANUAL
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:00 pm

At this time. it looks like I will be keeping my $200 Myford Super 7 lathe. This 7 is a few years older than the Super 7 I bought about 35 years ago. This lathe, at first look, may show less wear than my other Myford.
For the few dollars I have in this second Myford Super 7 and I can justify having a second latheN set up for a second job.
My short term plan is to build an adjustable height stand with a removable chip pan, for this second lathe. I will be using a scissor jack from a Ford F350 for the height adjustment. This scissor jack has a gear reduction on the drive so it will take less effort to adjust the stand height.
I have taken most of this second lathe apart for deep cleaning. OMG every space is jammed with wood dust and metal chips. What a mess.
The good news is the all of chucks have all cleaned up and look close to newish. I will start to polish the collets at a later date.
Pictures coming, soon.
Tomorrow is Ford day, all day.
Attachments
MYFORD PARTS SOAKING.jpg
SOAKING IN SOLVENT
MYFORD COLLET HOLDER.jpg
COLLET HOLDER
MYFORD COLLET CHUCK.jpg
COLLET CHUCK
MYFORD BERNERD 4 JAW 7 INCH.jpg
BERNERD 4 JAW
MYFORD BERNERD 3 JAW.jpg
BERBERD 3 JAW
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 pm

I have subscribed to several machine shop You Tube channels. One of the subject that was on these channels often was rust removal and several ways to get that done. I thought the favored method was a product called Evapo-Rust. I bought about 25 litre of Evapo-Rust for my 30 litre ultrasonic parts cleaner because the Evapo-Rust owner said it works so much better this way. I was fully expecting lack-luster performance, but, Evapo-Rust works even better than the company said it would. The light surface rust on steel lathe handles evaporated in seconds when the ultrasonic was on. I let some of the bigger parts with what looked like thicker rust sit in the mix for up to five minutes with the ultrasonic on. The worst surface rust was GONE. I drained the 30 litre tank through a filter and captured the rust sludge.
This very good product has save me about 100 hours of scrubbing with a 3M scouring pad.
This Myford Super 7 will be painted a dark British machine green with fire red raised lettering, like my Canedy Otto camel-back drill press.
I want this lathe to look really good if I keep it. If I offer it for sale, it has to look even better. I think $3500 cdn sounds about right.
pictures later, maybe.
Attachments
EVAPO RUST.jpg
EVAPO RUST TO CLEAN.jpg
EVAPO RUST AND ULTRASONIC.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 am

Yep, love evapo-rust. It has worked well on some of the smalls I had. I think it will rehab some old tools soon.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Yesterday, I cleaned the top surface of my ground lay-out table. The surface had a very thin layer of spot of surface rust. I wiped the table top with a rag soaked in Evapo-Rust and left it for about 10 minutes. A wipe with a dry cloth left the surface looking rust free. I like this stuff.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Last summer, I bought one of those DEWALT 12 volt snake-lite/inspection cameras. I thought this was such a good idea and at the price, how can I go wrong? This POS has the worst resolution and focus is all but impossible. I have used this thingee about 6 times and the battery's ability to hold a charge gest shorter and shorter. I just gave the battery a full charge and the low battery warning was on in 6 - 8 minutes. This inspection camera has a removable screen, and a removable micro SD card. Yahoo for that bunch of BS. Ralph probably gets less snow in a Saskatchewan winter than this display can put out on a sunny West Coast summer day.
I could put this POS on back Craigslist, OR, I could give the whole unit, carry case included, to someone I do not like.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I bought these four COLSON 6X1-1/2" wheels off Craigslist for $20. I intend to use two of the wheel units for am R150 handy frame transport. I built a lighter duty set of wheels for the L110 frame that will go under my son's project.
This R150 frame is 246.5 inches long and weighs just over 850 pounds. This is heavier than a two person job.
Attachments
R150 FRAME 3.jpg
R150 FRAME 2.jpg
R150 FRAME 1.jpg
FRAME DOLLEY ON FRAME.jpg
COLSON CASTERS $20 4.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 am

Sounds like you've been framed!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:01 am

That is "wheely" funny. ROTFLMFAO :t9409:
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion