SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:17 pm

SECOND HAND STORE FIND

If you have found something that was a better than average good deal at a garage sale, Craigslist, car-boot sale, swap-meet, second hand store etcetera, post it here, just for fun.
To start things off, I found this at a second hand store and it was $20. I could not see how I can go wrong since it was unused and new in the original packaging. It appears to come from SLOSPEED'S homeland. I have not used it and do not intend to. Next time you are in the Northern Hemisphere, Trevor, , I will give it to you so you can take it home where it belongs.
Attachments
RITCH TENSION WRENCH 2.jpg
RITCH TENSION WRENCH.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Now that was when Australia actually made stuff. Would be good quality just like the old made in the USA stuff it will still be around in a 100 years time not like the throw away crap we have today.

Now another trip to the Northern hemisphere that sounds nice was in your neck of the woods back in July 2012 are planning a trip to Eastern Canada and USA hopefully next year or the following.

Trevor
Attachments
IMG_4597.jpg
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:49 pm

The tension wrench will certainly last a long time at my place because I think it is much too beautiful to use. Let me know when you are in CANADA and we will try to work something out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 31, 2014 7:02 pm

ANOTHER GOOD IDEA:
I have seen so many of those woven wire basket from deep fryers at VALUE VILLAGE and second-hand stores. they are seldom more than a dollar or two. Try using one in your parts washing tank. the parts drain nicely and if the parts are to be dried with forced air, this is a much improved situation. I have several, and I look for the baskets with the finer weave. These baskets are made from stainless steel wire. I have filled a basket with parts and hung it in a bucket of gun-wash (aka lacquer thinner). Unless the paint is plastic, it will be stripped off.
Used, large cooking pots make good parts soaking containers since they often come with tight fitting lids that help to prevent the thinners from evaporating too quickly. Watch for the bigger pots with drains.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:20 pm

This little drill press was on CRAIGSLIST for $100. It looked so interesting and it followed me home. I don't know much about it, yet. I have had it for a number of years. The original owner is a retired engraver. This drill came with a crazy fast motor and some plastic pulley. I turned out a new aluminum three step pulley to drive a replacement leather round belt from a sewing machine shop.
This second drill press came from North Seattle and I bought it from the great grandson of the original owner. It is a WF and John Barnes 22 inch Camelback that weighs about 1000 pounds at 72 inches tall. I found it on a site called RACING JUNK.
We installed a modern electric motor on the base and managed to hide it. the motor, with two V belts powers a 4 step cone pulley with a flat belt drive to the main shaft. There is a set of back gears that drop the chuck speed to about 25%. This drill press has some side gears that drive the quill down into the work, it has three speeds, and a quick disconnect. Some of the square head bolts were missing and had to be custom made since the pitch was 1/2" by 12 TPI. I found a 12 tpi setting on my lathe and got right at it. The bolt looked so good, but it would not work. I had cut the threads, left hand. Idiot.
Attachments
WF AND JOHN BARNES 22 INCH.jpg
WF and J Barnes 22
HOME MADE CRANK.jpg
home made crank
VERY OLD MINATURE PRESISION DRILL PRESS.jpg
old miniature drill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 pm

CRAIGSLIST does it again.
This is a US BURKE 6 inch SWIVEL BASE machine vice. It weighs 60+ pounds and I got it for $20, some assembly required. It is rare that something this old will have the original crank handle. I am guessing it could be from the 1940's. It works perfectly and was MADE IN USA.
A trip through the solvent tank then the glass bead cabinet and a couple of coats of paint. Freshly milled jaw plates are in the works along with "T" nuts and 1/2"x13tpi socket head machine screws.
Attachments
USA BURKE VICE 5.jpg
pot at the end of the rainbow.jpg
US BURKE VICE.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 am

NNS

Another great find and I love your way of thinking to "A man can never have enough tools"

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:11 am

I live in Fairfax co.Virginia , The things that people here throw away are amazing . Seems as they have the worst case of the throw it away don't fix it that you could imagine . Found a lot of great stuff at the dump , better than craigs list or e bay . I've found a couple of those vises among other things . I wonder if there is any one in the outhouse in that rainbow picture ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:21 am

Just my cousin and I playing show and tell. Circa 1951. I started early.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Just over 30 years ago, I bought a MYFORD SUPER 7 LATHE. I have always wanted a threading dial, follow rest and a steady rest for this machine. So for the last few years I have been watching eBay and finally the bits I want were offered at a reasonable price with a buy-it-now option. One click and the parts were mine. The shipping, in the mail, took 10 days from England.
I know that the Super 7 is limited by its size but it is very accurate and has a top speed of 3250 rpm which I appreciate for some projects.
Attachments
MYFORDS FOLLOW REST, STEADY REST AND THREAD DIAL.jpg
follow rest steady rest and thread dial
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion