SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: SECOND HAND STORE FIND

I made an offer on a Made in Canada Brown Boggs sheetmetal shear, this morning. The is the manual foot operated model that I prefer. The shear is rated at 16 gauge in mild steel. I made an offer and it was countered.
Lloyd was here for a visit and he knows my situation. Room for another piece of machinery is at a premium. If fact, this might be the deal breaker.
We agreed on a price and I have yet to commit, depending on my finding some floor space.
Not related to floor space, I have decided to sell some of the antique engines from my small collection. My John Deere "E" Type stays, it belongs to my daughter. My son has laid claim to an IHC LB engine. My friend in North Vancouver wants my Waterloo Boy kerosene engine. I was going to sell my Ruston Hornsby Diesel but I have been convinced to keep it. I have had the Ruston for 34 years. It has lots of nostalgic value for me. The asking price for the Ruston engine will be $7500. This engine weighs just over 4000 pounds. The displacement is 640 cid/10.5 liters. The idle is about 60 rpm and the working rpm is under 300 rpm. The Alberta Wheat Pool grain elevator near our family farm had this engine. I first saw a Ruston Hornsby engine when I was 4 years old. I told my Dad that I wanted one of those engines. Nearly 30 years later, I sent Dad an Air Canada ticket so he could come for a visit. We sat on five gallon buckets and remembered the way-back-when time when Dad told me to forget about it.
https://youtu.be/0w5OII6h504
https://youtu.be/Bdov04Hk2I8
Attachments
RUSTON 1.jpg
Ruston Hornsby at work
BROWN BOGGS 16 GAX48.jpg
Brown Boggs 16 gauge shear
Ruston Hornsby.jpg
Ruston Hornsby Diesel
IHC LB billet covers 2.jpg
IHC LB
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:25 pm

This should bring a few memories back:
http://www.nfb.ca/film/grain_elevator/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 pm

I had not seen that video. Very good. I thank you.
https://youtu.be/x4PKFFY2lc8

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:48 am

Thought you might like that, esp when he fires up the R&H diesel with air. I'm guessing that was filmed in the mid 60's judging by the two Loadstars.
Around here only one farmer still move grain in straight trucks He has a GMC 65 with a 366 and a Ford F700. I can always tell when he pulls out on the main road, the GMC has a mean after- fire when he shifts. Single rear axle with a tag on the GMC and just a single on the F700. He hasn't updated his farm in a generation, and you can't get to his bins with a semi. Everybody else is running hopper-bottom semi's

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:24 am

Due to the large amount of retired farmers from all over the country living in Florida, hit and miss engines seem to be plentiful or maybe it’s due to the efforts of the club I’ve mentioned before - Florida Flywheelers - but I see the engines frequently at many of the car shows I go to. Or maybe it’s just that many of those retirees are members of the club to continue their hobby of hit and miss engines. Many times I’ll see an ice cream vendor with a churn driven by a small h&m eng. At any rate I find them fascinating and the ice cream is great!

The club has three big shows each year - Nov., Jan. and Feb. and the dates are available on their website. It’s a very interesting time to spend on the property they own and visit all the buildings and events they have. Quite similar to the old country fairs without the carnival aspect. We go almost every year to at least one of them. A day well spent checking out the swap meet vendors, tractor pulling, saw mill displays and huge 12’ dia. flywheel engine formerly used in gas pipeline transmission, just to name a few.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 am

This upcoming weekend will be the Oklahoma Steam Thresher and Gas Engine Association show up in Pawnee. They have a good gathering of good folk, old stationary engines, old equipment, etc.

https://youtu.be/NqJ66OCwKF8
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 pm

About 7 years ago I bought a Delta belt sander/grinder. I sold it earlier this year because the grinder was missing the 12 inch disc. Last week another Delta sander/grinders appeared on Craigslist. This one had the 12 inch disc. I bought it and got a really good deal. The grinder is three phase. I do not have 3phase in my shop. I often turn down really good deals on 3phase machines. Yesterday, I did an hour of due diligence for a best price for an American Rotary phase Converter. AMAZON had the price and the product. I ordered a 10HP CUL Listed American Rotary Phase Converter 10HP 1 to 3 Phase CR10-CUL … It shipped from Toronto today.
I am watching for a Kearney and Trekker milling machine.
Attachments
Delta grinder motor.jpg
Delta grinder 2.jpg
Delta grinder 1.jpg
00W0W_bTnFFS2zjsC_600x450.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 am

CRAIGSLIST https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/at ... 34037.html
Here is an interesting old drillpress. It was made by WF and John Barnes in the late 1800s.
There was a time, long ago, when IHC insisted their major dealers had a BARNES drillpress in their shop. I found this information in my research into WF & J Barnes and IHC. There was a time when Ford dealers were encouraged to buy this drillpress. The history of Ford suggests Old Henry was a big fan of the Barnes company.
The Barnes company lasted over 100 years until it was acquired by Acme Precision in 1980. https://leblondusa.com/wf-john-barnes/
Years ago, I bought a 22 inch WF & J Barns from the great grandson of the original owner. \My Barnes is more than1150 pounds and over 6 feet tall. I keep my Barnes as a restored and working antique.
I mention this CL advert here on the off-chance someone here might be interested.
Attachments
WF&J Barnes drill mobile base and motor solution2.jpg
WF AND JOHN BARNES 22 INCH.jpg
WF AND J BARNES SIDE TOOL TRAY.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Is this the same one you were restoring a couple of years back and were having to fab some of the pieces for?
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Yes it is the same drillpress. I bought second camelback drillpress from one of the members of this forum. I am not looking for another of these old camelback drills. I added a small bench Cannedy Auto to the collection, and that is it. There were a few others but they went to new homes, last year.
These bigger camelbacks are more difficult to sell.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion