Fort McMurray Fire

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Fort McMurray Fire

I had lunch with an old friend today. We have known each other for 50 years. He has done very well in his business. He made a Red Cross donation of $100,000 today. The
Federal government is matching his donation.
The wild fire has destroyed most of the city. 85,000 persons are displaced.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri May 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Re: Fort McMurray Fire

Some of our folks down in the lower Fourty can empathize With their loss. Hope that no lives are lost and the fire is put under control as quickly as possible.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 06, 2016 6:22 pm

It looks like hell on TV. Just awful. So many people displaced.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 06, 2016 8:21 pm

My cousin's son and his wife lost their home and everything in it. They were both at work on opposite ends of Fort Mac and had to run for their lives. They met later in Lac LA Biche.
My son and I visited family in Fort Mac a few years ago. I doubt that we would recognise anything today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 07, 2016 10:58 am

http://www.redcross.ca/

I provide this link to those that may wish to help.

This event happening to our neighbors is terrible to say the least.
I think of how many times the canadians have assisted the states with
air power to fight many of our largest wildfires , yes I do live in a
forested area and have seen large tankers from canada used
in my area and throughout the states. Their pilots also were in the fight
with coordination and training to our fire crews and pilots.

I do have friends in and from Canada and after 9/11 was told during that time how canadians
supported us in many ways, The instances then, as well as in the past has alway demonstrated
their unwavering support for the USA. Kindness and compassion is in their DNA , I will
never forget and do what I can now for my friends to the north.
I certainty will give what I can and hope we all will unite here in the states during
their time of need.

Be safe
Steve Molcsan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 07, 2016 11:17 am

Thank-you Mister Steve. Your kindness is appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 07, 2016 11:42 am

nikkinutshop wrote:He made a Red Cross donation of $100,000 today. The
Federal government is matching his donation.

The real difference between your government and ours, down here if he was lucky and didn't exceed limits, he might be able to make that donation with pre-tax dollars, no other "help" would be forthcomeing from the US government. Good for both of them, I watch with horror at the pictures comeing out of up there. It is a long way to a town of any size for these people to flee to. The fact they are fleeing to "work camps" explains the conditions up there. Ft McMurray WAS the town for the entire region, and now it is all but gone.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 08, 2016 9:24 am

A lot of the evacuees are arriving here in Edmonton, as it is the closest large city. It's good to see everybody stepping up and welcoming our friends and neighbors any way they can. Airlines did more than 300 unscheduled flights (free of charge) from the camps into Edmonton, restaurant chains giving free meals to anyone showing ID from Fort McMurray, ordinary people going out to the highway giving away gas/water/food paid for out of their own pocket, every business collecting donations of items/money for the Red Cross. The smaller communities along along the highway closer to Fort Mac have been especially amazing the to people needing help.

As of last night the fire is still growing in size. Keep those people in your prayers, they need our help.

http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=4 ... 99FF0DE4CF

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 28, 2016 2:05 pm

Hope this is ok to post ,

A wildfire forced more than 80,000 people from Fort McMurray. The fire continues to ravage communities and has now covered over 200,000 hectares.
Being born and raised in Alberta this has been very hard for me to watch, as I have seen the fire affect so many people close to me. The people of Fort McMurray need our help!
We’re proud to lend our voices to @FireAidBenefit June 29 at Commonwealth stadium in ‪#‎YEG‬ . We’re taking the stage with an incredible lineup of Canadian artists to raise money for ‪#‎FortMcMurray‬ fire relief. Tickets go on sale May 30 through Ticketmaster. ‪#‎FireAid4YMM‬ - Danielle

You can cut and paste the link as some may see fit
Please no comments. Just spreading the word...

Its fast approaching fire season , Be safe

Thanks

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 28, 2016 2:57 pm

I rather doubt that there will be a problem with your post.
There has been some persons asking why the Big Martin Mars water bomber were not sent into the battle. The last that I heard suggested the lone survivor Martin Mars is all but dead in the water and my not be repairable. The Martin Mars needs a long run, without any obstructions, to load and the river water sources may not have that space available. I was in Salmon Arm a long time ago and was close enough to touch one of the Martin Mars that was pulled up to the beach for service and fuel. WE asked a few questions of the engineer and all of his answers were overwhelming. The one comment that really stuck with me was the damage that severe heat cycling doe to these old radial engines. While climbing off a lake, with a full load of water, the engines are totally stressed and reach maximum heat, the water load is dumped and the airplane then coasts down from the mountain fire and the engines have rapid cooling.
Here in Canada we have BOMBARDIER. They may be best known for the SKIDOO, the SEADOO and the SPYDER motorcycle.http://www.brp.com/
Bombardier make a very successful water bomber. https://youtu.be/cHuoXD_VmBs WE are told that while the Bombardier water bomber carries less water than the Martin Mars, the cycle time is so much less and this more than makes up for the gallons per hour of the bigger airplane. The Bombardier can be operated in much smaller pick up space and then make precise drop patterns.
The Bombardier water bomber has been used to put out illegal camp fires and other forest threatening fires. https://youtu.be/BzgKIqO4ehg
Rail fires https://youtu.be/jtxiOkkqk2M
Loading https://youtu.be/C6ps18Glax8
Just for fun https://youtu.be/P2nSRHbaEH0
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion