OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

Because CB89 is always right, I took his advice and returned my Optima battery for testing and replacement. The battery shop owner suggested my Optima might be asleep, so he yelled at it, "Wake UP!" Still nothing so he gave the battery s slap on one side. There was next to no response, so he declared the Optima to be dead and he put the all important "X" on the battery top. WE had a moment of silence while I pulled out my MasterCard.
Since Optima moved their battery manufacturing out of The USA, I could not find a local distributor. I dropped the idea of another Red Top and bought a regular battery with more CCA a better warranty and at less cost.
We will try another start tomorrow. :t3909:
Attachments
NO BOZOS.jpg
OPTIMA REPLACEMENT.jpg
Optima replacement
BATTERY REAR CONTROL PANEL.jpg
DEAD.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 am

Services to be schedule at a later date with internment to follow. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the memorial fund established and maintained by Nikkinutshop. May your Optima RIP.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 pm

We are moving right along. Today's project was to diagnose the neutral safety switch situation and determine why the one I installed was not working with this column. I have lots of SAGINAW steering column parts, so, I dug out all of my spare Saginaw neutral safety switches. I was surprised, "they are not all the same" . There are two different mounting positions and the timing is different.
I kind of want the starter to work in park and neutral, only and it would be nice to have the back-up camera come in the reverse segment.
I did a minor adjustment to the shift linkage at the side of the C4 transmission.
Tomorrow I will diagnose the timing sensor fault code and change as required.
Attachments
MODIFIED MALLORY MINUS SENSORS 1.jpg
IN LOCATION
MALLORY DUAL POINT mod..jpg
DUAL POINT WITH SENSORS
C4 shift point.jpg
WHERE THE C4 SHIFTS
SHIFT LINKAGE AT THE C4.jpg
C4 LINKAGE FROM BELOW
NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCHES 2.jpg
NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCHES 2
NEURTAL SAFETY SWITCHES 1.jpg
NSW 1

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 am

I travelled to a neighboring shop on Tuesday. I'm the old guy, so I'm expected to be able to fix anything that still has a distributor.
I was called to repair an old F350 with a 460 V-8 NO START. However, OBDII.
The young technician had gotten so wrapped up in correct waveforms he forgot to try all the easy things. I had him plug in the spare dist. and the thing started to come back to life. :)
So...the question arose....the original dist. had a perfectly good looking square wave waveform...
WHY wouldn't it start?
The answer is the sensor can no longer pull the waveform down to zero volts. Pattern looks good but it is "floating" (elevated ground).
Ignition module and ECM never recognize a "trigger".
I bring this up here because these are the kinds of things you may experience, Nikki.
BTW, since day one Ford Electronic Ignition systems have had a "diagnostic" built into them. Spark should be visible ONCE at the coil wire during no start when you turn key on and off with cranking or without.
This proves coil and connections are OK. That really helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 pm

This engine does not have any Ford ignition. The Mallory dual point distributor has been converted to a single 60 point tone wheel and a side mounted chisel point sensor. I milled 9 holes in the cap to give a distributor look, but only one hole goes through to a raised point on the tone wheel. (yellow arrow) One tone wheel sensor is cam position and the other is crank position. This is very much like the SRS and TRS on GM DEDEC Diesel engines.
The four Dual-Fire-Units are constant 12 volts and the ECU grounds the coils sequentially. Each coil fires two sparkplugs, one on the power-stroke and the other spark is called clean-up on the opposite cylinder. Checking these coils with the classic screwdriver method is cautioned against because of the 80,000 volts potential and possible fatal consequences. The importance of grounding the DFU is mentioned several times with extreme cautions. I have installed two designated ground 10 gauge wires direct to the battery cable ground location, under the passenger foot-board.
This TEC3r system has a self diagnostics display. I installed a CEL red LED lite in the original headlight indicator on the top of the dash. The display on the connected laptop says there is a situation that prevents a start, with the ignition sensors. The first suggest diagnostic check is to make sure the sensors ore on the correct circuits. The instructions go on to tell what to look for, with a multimeter. I may have to replace one or both sensors because I suspect rough storage may have caused an open. I should have an extra of each sensor, on the off-chance there is a failure. The chances of finding a buying replacement sensors locally may be a challenge. I was not able to find and buy an engine shop air powered pre-lube like or similar to this: http://www.melling.com/aftermarket/high ... -lube-tank
One business was prepared to bring this unit in from Alberta and have is here in 7 days. They are asking $513cdn Amazon is faster and $213 So, I will be making my own shop-built pre-oiler.
Attachments
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.jpg
Dual fire units.jpg
dual fire units
MODIFIED MALLORY FOR SENSORS.jpg
modified Mallory

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm

My point wasn't so much about Ford as it was about sensor waveforms and not seeing the forest for the trees.
We (which means me, too) forget there's still an engine under all that stuff.
Best of luck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:37 pm

I machined out a pulley/tone wheel combination for a welding positioner I built from my wife's tread-mill DC drive. I doubled the number of teeth on the tone wheel because I wanted to trick the electronic controller into sensing double speed, when the motor was going at half speed. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say, but, it worked. It cost me about an hour to turn the pulley on my lathe and then on to the milling machine to make cut-outs for the tone-wheel effect. I can get one revolution in 90 seconds and as fast as 6 rpm. The 110 volt screw motor that raised and lowered the running surface now drives the tilt of the chuck through 90 degrees.
I know that ridiculously inefficient engine is in hiding under the overburden of stuff. I hope I have given this engine the best opportunity to be a big boy.
Attachments
welding positioner control 4.jpg
welding positioner 4 jaw.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 pm

I know I'm in the minority, but I lube bearings on assembly, may use some "petroleum jelly" to help the oil pump pull the 1st bit, but I don't pre-lube, I just fire it up and watch the mechanical gauge. Just fired a Cummins 855 Today, which had been dry. It had pressure before I could get my head up to see the gauge.
I don't think there is any harm in pre-lubing if the oil is clean and the pressure is reasonable, I just never saw the need for it. I never assemble dry, I always coat bearings and lobes. I figure my oil is better than the grease that my Witte open crank engine uses!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:38 pm

I am making progress, I think. I am following the diagnostics suggestions, precisely.
I fully expect to have this POS start and run on one of the next tries. The shock of that happening will kill me. I would like to live long enough to drive this Ford to winter storage.
It is the perfect day to be in the shop. We are experiencing perfect fall weather, here. The temperature today is 20C.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:42 pm

Old cars love great weather! It's gonna start!
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion