OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

Finally, I am back to my Ford project. I was totally turned off the project because of what seemed like an overwhelming collection of problems. The ECU firmware timed out because I left it too long. I sent the ECU back to the Electromotive company and they upgraded the ECU to the latest and greatest firmware. The original Version1.9 required Windows XP and my last laptop, with XP, had let the smoke out.
I made a few telephone calls yesterday and this morning. I was told that the latest firmware is Windows 10 compatible. This has changed everything, for me. I am feeling some excitement for this project today.
I just downloaded the latest software from the TEC3r site. I will be at Staples in an hour to buy a new laptop with Windows 10. This laptop will be dedicated to ECU programing ONLY. There is the initial start and run followed by more detailed inputs then on-the-road trimming of the system for better drivability.
The Ford is not on the road yet. I still have some apprehension but it is easier to fee optimistic about a the future of this very expensive project. Well over $125K sounds like lots of money. Some of the guys who retired 14 years ago, about the same time as I, have spent that much and more on cigarettes and booze and about half of them are dead.
What have I learned?
Don't allow so much time to expire during a build. I went from 59 to 73 with this project. How did that happen?
Do not buy too much "stuff" ahead of the time it will be needed.
Buy American Autowire or Ron Francis wiring kits.
Try to buy local so the product can be held and looked at. As seen on the internet may not be the same. Watson's Street Works has been consistent with high quality.
For guys my age, try to not forget that you, the builder, and the project are getting older together. It is possible for some systems to time out on the project and the builder. I am finding is more difficult to return to this project after I have neglected it. I am feeling better today. I am sure I will feel even better, today, when I pick up a new laptop. Spending a dollars is good medicine, for me. Now, if I can get a laptop on sale. HMMMM.
Attachments
DISTRIBUTOR ALL OF THE BITS.jpg
all of the bits
MALLORY DP 2.jpg
new sensors added to a highly modified MALLORY dual point distributor
NEW SENSORS.jpg
new sensors
ECU RETURNED.jpg
new firmware installed
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm

I feel all better, now. I am posting this from my new HP laptop. The laptop was on sale and I asked for any additional price consideration. I was given another $100 off. My son installed KASPERSKY
The latest and greatest software is downloaded to a USB drive. I don't want to see another CEL.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 10:22 am

It's good to hear you are back at it Nikki. I had started to miss the updates on the old thing.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Another stupid mistake I made was to not get the engine running before putting on the fenders. These fat fenders make the reach in under the hood more difficult. There is the increased possibility of damaging the paint. I was feeling confident about the start and run because there were no CEL or codes displayed.
And then there is this. I will probably never install the main fuse box under the dashboard again. Access under the dashboard requires removing the front seats. I now know the wiring kit people offer kits that are designed around the main fuse and distribution being behind the rear seat. I think this is something we will look at seriously on the next Old IHC build.
My daughter said, "Break with tradition, Dad, and do something innovative!"
Thanks for looking at my project.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Fri May 03, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

I have seen a couple installations (OEM, I think) having fuse block that swings down and out from under the dash for access, then up out of sight the rest of the time. Just another idea.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm

RON FRANCIS WIRING offered that option. I have not looked at his site in a little while. I hope he still offers the fold-away mount. If I can see a picture of what he made, I can get a few design clues and do something like it for myself. Borrowing ideas has never stopped me. I feel no guilt. ;)
I am posting the reply on my new laptop. This is an HP. My other shop laptop is a LENOVA and I do not like it very much. It is all about feel and this HP has it all, just right.
My wife wants me to reserve this laptop for the car only. I cannot do that. I installed KASPERSKY so there will be protection.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Glad to hear you got back to it, I want to see video of it running this Summer.

I bought a spray tractor off of eBay in 1997, salvaged from a dashboard fire. Paid just over scrap price and it was local enough to drive and test before the final bid. After a year and several thousand dollars of parts, I finally came to place my all-new JD dash in with my all-new JD complete wiring harness----only to find they did not connect. Completely different styles of connectors, even a different number of wires.

It took a couple years to get back to it, then I hit the next snag- the multi-angle semi curved steel piece that holds the windshield in place in the cab was rusted out, and absolutely not available in any form from Deere. Not even a part number. Been parked in the barn ever since.

Well, a week ago I finished the dash install using completely new connectors and a super-handy shop manual. A new power steering hose and it ran and drove out of the barn under its own power Tuesday- no cab yet, but it moves and I was able to hook a roto-tiller to it. In part, thanks to inspiration from genius builders and helpful teachers like yourself and many others on this site. It is not my Old IH, but a nearly-complete project that will serve a purpose rather than rot in a junkyard or darken my barn floor any more!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 07, 2019 1:16 pm

"I have seen a couple installations (OEM, I think) having fuse block that swings down and out from under the dash for access, then up out of sight the rest of the time. Just another idea."

This is how the fuse box is in my 68 Cadillac, it rides on a rail and when not in use is kept up out of the way under the dash. When you need to access it it slides down and is very easy to get to that way without being obtrusive. It really is the best of both worlds that way.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 23, 2019 2:20 pm

My son and I spent most of yesterday in the shop. The Ford was the focus of our attention. Everything checks out BUT, we are dealing with a nasty loss of voltage. While the situation is improved, there is still 4.5 voltage loss when we activate the starter. I need to find one more volt to get the ECU to operate.
Later today, we are going to try a separate battery dedicated to the ECU.
I have an appointment to deal with later. We are making progress, but this is a little frustrating for both of us.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 23, 2019 5:16 pm

That is a lot!
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion