OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

I don't get shop visits from my significant other very often. Someone has to have clean hands here. I was sent two dozen pictures of the FORD late this afternoon. Greg has finished the paint and he is very pleased with himself, but not a pleased as I am with what he has done. I know that this has cost, what I think, is a lot of money, but rattle can RUSTOLEUM was not an option, this time. After deducting the considerable cost of being ripped off by several body shops the bottom line was $24,749.03 to GRESG COLLISION. Because of damage done to the car and hood at the other shops, the cost of making it right went way up. As an example, GREG put nearly 50 hours into the hood just to make it straight and paint ready. And, so it went.
The cost of MUNDIES transporting the FORD from location to another location has added another $750 =/-.
This has been a harsh learning experience, for us. My wife is many times more angry than I. On the plus side, we started off with a detailed inventory list and pictures that were signed in and checked out each time. This controlled the "slippage" and "You didn't give that to me!" This may be some of the best advice I can give. I cannot say it strongly enough. Check and recheck the shops that you trust your specialty vehicles to. Here is the most frustrating part of this. I get screwed and if I say very much about what happened, with specifics, I could be paying again.
Attachments
40 FORD RIGHT FRONT.jpg
40 FORD RIGHT FRONT.jpg
RF
40 FORD ROOF.jpg
ROOF
40 FORD BACK LEFT.jpg
LR
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:46 pm

I brought two doors, the repainted ash trays and the cowl vent home today and I am going for the last two doors tomorrow AM. The body will be picked up on Monday by a professional tow company and delivered here.
Attachments
LR DOOR.jpg
BACK DOOR
LEFT DRIVERS DOOR.jpg
DRIVERS DOOR
COWL VENT.jpg
COWL VENT LID
REPAINTED ASH TRAY COVERS.jpg
REPAINTED ASH TRAY DOORS

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:29 am

Looks great, now all you have to do is assemble the car without scratching anything. Hope everything lines up. .. one tip i learned was to assemble complete vehicle prior to paint and drill some pilot holes inside fenders so you can just slap 'em right on. I really like the colour..and do you have your emergency brake installed. Yesterday my neighbour was telling me how he was working in garage and his 32 roadster disappeared. It had rolled out the garage and stopped with the front wheel on retaining wall,,,no damage but the new e brake kit is still on the shelf,,where its been for a couple years..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:41 am

The e brake works. All new parts in the Ford 8.8 with disc brakes. LOKAR cables and pedal. Good reminder. The Ford C4 automatic has park also.
Shop clean up will continue today after I get home with the final load of painted parts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 pm

My wife's living room/warehouse.
after all of the parts have been installed. the living room will get a make-over. It is the last room to go under the "Knife".
Attachments
What are you looking at.jpg
home made rhubarb pie and the dog
TEMPORARY STORAGE4.jpg
TEMPORARY STORAGE3.jpg
TEMPORARY STORAGE2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

The FORD came home today. the tow truck driver said that he was chased by a monsoon all the way to the Port Mann Bridge and it stopped following him on the other side of the Fraser River. The car was mostly dry inside and a few swipes with a soft towel and everything was OK. The car was set up on some rolling axle stands I made and the car can be rolled in any direction with just a light touch. I stretch ropes across the shop floor to act as wheel stops to keep the stands from rolling too far.
Attachments
ROLLING AXLE STANDS.jpg
ROLLING AXLE STANDS
HOME AT LONG LAST.jpg
HOME AT LAST

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 pm

The first task was to return the borrowed Crown Vic emergency wheel/tire sets to the Ford Recycler. We used the "spare" wheels to replace the alloy wheels during the body and paint.
Right after lunch we got right at the reassembly by installing the larger stainless defrost nozzles I made to fit the VINTAGE AIR system. My son set the rear seating power recline system in to check for fit and punch holes in the back floor insulation. The final job for the day was installing the air system, running the compressor and checking for leaks. The only leak is in an air manifold I bought. It will be in the scrap before noon and we will make our own that will not leak. The package said MADE IN USA, but we found and almost microscopic china on the part.
Tomorrow we will be installing more sound insulation in the spots that didn't get covered earlier in the year. The next task is placing the wiring back in the car. If there is any time left in the day, we will measure the car for the carpets.
Attachments
AIR SYSTEM.jpg
AIR SYSTEM
SPLIT REAR SEAT POWER RECLINE.jpg
POWER REAR SEATS RECLINE
HOME MADE DEFROST NOZZLES.jpg
DEFROST NOZZLES

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:16 pm

"larger stainless defrost nozzles"

That's something that has crossed my mind also. I'll be asking you for more details when I start my build.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Today we mounted the power steering reservoir to the firewall, in the engine compartment. Next to get installed was the electric panel and parking brake. These three components share some fasteners and brackets. I am trying to use socket head button fasteners inside the car and socket head under the hood. All are ALLEN drive.
The electric panel will hold the ECU just below the fuse panel and the satellite locater.
Attachments
ELECTRIC PANEL.jpg
PAINLESS PRIMARY FUSE PANEL
RIGHT SIDE EXHAUST HEADER.jpg
HOMEMADE AND CERAMIC COATED RIGHT SIDE EXHAUST HEADER POWER STEERING RESERVIOR IN THE BACK
parking brake 1.jpg
TAKEN APART FOR POLISHING
PARKING BRAKE 3.jpg
MOUNTED

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:42 am

NNS

Once again I can see your workmanship that had gone into this before it went off for painting and now as you bolt everything back on I am sure you will just tweak things a little more as you go.

Bloody ripper their young Fella..

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion