OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

When I bought the cable for the car, I described what I was doing and how long the cables had to be. I bought the recommended size, a crimper and proper lugs. The cable run is about 7 feet. The battery is in the right rear trunk area, over the rear axle, near the bulkhead. The starter spec suggests the draw should be 67 amps under ideal conditions. I think the starter is drawing more amps because the engine may still be a little dry in the cylinders.
The volt loss situation is better, but not ideal, yet.
I have a load tester. I will load test the two year old battery over the weekend. The battery has been on a Battery Tender every day since I put it in the car. The battery did go to 100% dead two times when some accessories were left on and overpowered the Battery Tender's ability to keep up. The battery may have been dead for several days.
The ECU display on the laptop shows 14 volts. This drops instantly to under 10 volts when the starter is engaged. I will remove the battery and take it back to the vender for testing. I may buy a battery with more CCA as long as I can fit it into the available space.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Where did you come up with 67 amp? IIRC this is a 12 volt set up? add a 0 to the 67 amps for the in-rush current! (ok a slight exaggeration) but you need to size the cables to handle the LRA (locked rotor amps) of the starter. When the motor is engaged in the ring gear and must start the crank turning, it takes a large amount of current, far more than is needed to keep it cranking. If the cables are small the motor can never get up to speed and the current draw will remain high as well as the voltage drop. LRA is a better spec to use when sizing cables.
I would size the cable for 280 amps or more and size for the total amount of distance. There are charts telling how large a cable is required for a given distance and current. Even if you are using a gear reduction starter, you need to size for LRA, it will be less than a direct drive, but still high. The advantage is the motor gets up to speed faster than a direct drive.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm

I was given a number. I must have dropped a zero. I will not be editing. I agree with your suggestion. I should have known better, but I failed. I will recheck the numbers online this weekend.
I called but, you were out. Maybe TTYL.
Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Today I bought an AGM battery for the Ford. There should be an improvement in performance
The battery store insisted that they allow the original purchase price to be deducted from the price of the new battery. The tech called a warranty upgrade.
The new battery needs an overnight charge so it will be able to reach it full potential. This is the best cranking performance so far. I am thinking this will be much improved, again, after a night on the OPTIMATE. :t3909:
Attachments
OPTIMATEE CHARGER.jpg
AGM BATTERY ON CHARGE.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 pm

WOW! Look at that, Nearly 80,000 views. I thank all of those who had a look. I am slowly working out the final "blips". I am hopeful for a start and run soon.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:33 am

Well, piping up out of the blue, not having posted a word on this thread at all thus far, I can't help but ask after your project status, have you been able to make any new progress? The inquisitive fly on the wall in me would like to know…left us on a bit of a cliffhanger there

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am

I missed my target date near the end of August 2019 so the pressure to finish was replaced with minor temporary disappointment.
This project started as body and paint and new upholstery and quickly became what it is. I need to refocus and get at it. I am having Mundies Towing take the Ford out of the shop and turn it around 180*. I cannot work on the engine with the door open to the weather. I need to have the door closed so I don't give anyone a reason to return, uninvited. I have a monitored alarm system.
It is that time of the year when I need to have the shop furnace on for heat and I don't want to heat the neighborhood.
The typical Vancouver fall and winter weather is here. We get rain and wind almost every day . Old bones and cold do not make for a good day. In a few weeks my family will celebrate my 74 birthday. I will smile and thank everyone while I reach for a Tylenol. I hope they remember chocolate cake.
My shop time gets shared with a lot of distractions, like an American Rotary 20 horsepower rotary three phase converter. Three phase power opens the options of buying those good deal three phase machines on Craigslist.
This last two weeks has been moving the shop around for a better use of the space. I have been selling a bunch of stuff on CL. This has opened up a lot of floor area. Sometimes the sale of something makes room for a better idea.
I have been neglecting the Ford and that is about to change. Anyway, I need to have the exhaust pointed at the door.
Thanks for your interest.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:33 pm

I do not remember, but do you have a hose and hole for the exhaust? Used that set up lots in a smaller garage I had so I could run the engine inside during bad weather and not suffer asphyxiation from exhaust. Just a thought. Stay warm, Stay healthy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:41 pm

You have a good memory ibesq. The port is in the south door. I have two exhaust hoses that interlock to make 20 feet. 20 feet will not reach across the shop. This is the story of my life, too short
I got both hoses for free. Twice, I saw an exhaust hose dragging behind a BMW in traffic. I got close and let my front wheel contact the hose. The hose fell off the car, I stopped and picked up the hose.
Don't let your hose hang out. :t3717:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm

I use 1/0 cable on any rear mounted batteries to make up for voltage drop in the wires resistance and distance, even on 12 volt system.
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion