OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:17 am

Re: OUR 40 FORD

Kugelfischer?
I have owned three Porsches and one BMW 2002 tii with this Kugelfischer system. My friend Horst has all of the Kugelfischer specific tools. He drives a 2002 tii, I think it is a 1976 , bright orange with BMW alloy wheels.
Any interested person could Google Bosch fuel injection systems and get detailed information. For many persons who have not had some training and experience in combination with any of these systems, it is all gibberish.
Bosch is the innovator and leader in the industry. Cummins PT and GM unit may be the only systems that do not pay a royalty to Robert Bosch gmbh.
I think I'm done here, for now. I'm going to skip any more details and may post a link to You Tube on the start and run. I canceled my subscription to this so I will not be tempted to look every time I am sent a message. TTFN
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 am

BTW, Nikki..
You are the LEAST foggy-brained guy I know.
You can work in my R&D Dept, anytime.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:24 am

The one Nikki mentioned is the one I was thinking of.
Interesting tidbit. Herbert Akroyd-Stuart 1st (by about 2 years) developed direct injection of fuel into the cyl by hyd means, but his design didn't have high enough compression to be a Diesel (it was a hot bulb engine). At Rudolph Diesels 1st attempt used high pressure air to inject and vaporize the fuel, it wasn't until the two systems were merged that the true diesel was born.
It goes to show that true innovation is generally not one person starting from scratch, but one building on another's success.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm

This is what I made in the shop today. There is a minor balance situation that I will be addressing tomorrow. I will be milling some material off the back side of the top rotor to try and counter-balance the cut-out. I checked the balance to 750 RPM and there was "some shaking going on". The operating distributor/cam RPM will be at a maximum of 2250 when the computer does a soft speed control.
So here are a few pictures.
I have not spent any time on the Ford, this week, other than an hour yesterday and 6 hours today. I have been working the crowd on another toolbox deal, this time one of the boxes is going out.
All of the steel parts in the distributor will be https://youtu.be/cQLv7CG10B4 before final assembly. I like this stuff and I use it on small parts when I do a restoration on a camel-back drill press.
Attachments
HOEFER CAMELBACK.jpg
gun-metal treatment on castiron camel-back drillpress
crank position sensor assembly.jpg
A VITON "O" ring holds the top on the body bell
MALLORY DP 2.jpg
together for test fit. .005" clearance to sensors.
DISTRIBUTOR ALL OF THE BITS.jpg
all of the bits and pieces
TEC parts cam timing wheel.jpg
timing wheel design
DISTRIBUTOR BALANCE CUT=OUT.jpg
area for metal removal (on the back)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm

This is the final iteration for the "distributor". I spent about to hours fitting a lead balance weight followed by several reassemble and test run followed by another take-a-part-remove-a-little-weight and reassemble. If there is any imbalance, now, I cannot feel it at 1700 rpm cam speed. I lubricated the shaft with ATF and gave it a one minute spin at 1700 rpm to warm it up. I pulled the drive while under load and the distributor continued to spin for an estimated 10 plus revolutions.
The shaft and rotor run-out is .0005". The sensor clearances are .002"
Now comes the critical part. Where did I leave the TDC?
Attachments
crank position sensor assembly.jpg
DISTRIBUTOR LOCKED TO THE ENGINE
locking slip collar.jpg
LOCKING SLIP-RING COLLAR
DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR BALANCE.jpg
lead weight
DISTRIBUTOR BALANCE CUT=OUT.jpg
the lead weight goes behind this rotor

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I bought a set of BendPac Ranger GoCart dollies for my shop and for our Ford. I thought it was a good idea to be able to roll the car into a more accessible space and move the Ford around as required. There was a problem with the casters not working properly and jamming. Moving the Ford became a two person job.
I called Bendpac and asked what they could do for me and my situation. They asked that I take a few measurements of the wheel hub and axle and forward the pictures and measurements. The supplier of the casters had failed to supply casters that met the specification. BendPac offered to replace the casters, I agreed and a new set was sent. The new casters work as they should and moving the car is easily within my ability.
BendPac is an example of good customer service. I felt that they had been cheated by their supplier and they kept that their problem to solve. I, the customer was their first priority and they handled the situation really well.
I am very pleased with BendPac. I have been entertaining the thought of buying a four post vehicle lift and BendPac will be my first and only choice.
http://www.bendpak.com/shop-equipment/c ... -1500.aspx
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-p ... hd-7p.aspx
Attachments
BEND PAC RANGER WHEEL DOLLIES 3.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

agree. Bendpak is a good product. I had one of their four post lifts and it worked flawlessly for the 9 years I had it. Unfortunately, the garage ceiling in my new home is only 8 ft, so I sold it off before the move.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:29 am

I changed my mind

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 pm

I just watched the you tube video on the dollies, they look the nuts.....Why have you changed your mind??? Customer service???
Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:49 pm

I have changed my mind because there are better options for much less money. I have had almost a year of not being able to use the dollies I bought. The replacement casters are a little better than the original problem units.
The warranty replacement dollies arrived beat up with one unit broken with parts missing. I have been able to assemble 4 working dollies out of 8.
I could have used these dollies more when I bought them. Now the Ford is almost ready to drive out of the shop, so I will put them away until we restart our L110 Shorty 4X4 project.
Bendpac customer service is the very best I have experienced. They are the first victim of poor quality component supply. BendPac really tried to make this right for me.
I should be able to make what I have work, now.
Do you think I got good value for the $950± I paid?
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion