OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

I am using 1-0 cable.
I have had a few not so good weeks, so I have not been out in the shop. The weather is getting better and so am I. Old age has it's own agenda for me. I think about the car a lot.
Attachments
ABOM79 1.jpg
cable crimper.jpg
1-0 and crimper
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 pm

This was going to be the week for some garage action on the blue albatross. The covit19 virus has its own agenda. I cannot get a tow truck to come and turn the car around. The weather has been a bit chilly for an old guy, like myself. The sun is out most days, but a cool breeze makes my arthritis act up. We were hailed on yesterday and the Highway Through Hell got a fresh layer of snow.
I need the engine bay to be in the shop, not facing the big garage door.
I do not have any car-show dates to aim for, this year. I am a member of The Early Ford V8 Club. The monthly news letter lists all of the shows that have canceled and those shows likely to get canceled this year. Our big Hogan Park event at the end of August is on wait-and-see.
My neighbour, across the lane, reminds me of Mister Wilson from Tool Time. I hear his voice and I can see the top of his head above his tall fence. Since the shelter in place and covid19 orders of separation are posted and enforced, he does not come for a visit. This guy looks like 60 and he is 79.
https://youtu.be/l8oPVVGYQ40
Attachments
KEEP OUT 40 FORD.jpg
My trunk monkey
BUMPER BUDDIES.jpg
welcoming committee.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:36 am

That's a great vid.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Some years ago, I modified the trunk lid hinges to accept hydraulic lift cylinders. The trunk lid has not what I would call, over use. When the cylinders were new, they would fully open the trunk lid, when the remote was triggered. The trunk lid, like its owner is lucky to get a 50% rise, now.
I open the lid once a week to fill the suspension air tank with shop air. A quick a dirty research tells me these pressurized cylinders loose their original punch, over time. Does anyone know of a way to refresh these lifts?
I had this style of lift cylinders on the canopy back door, on my R120. They lasted nearly 20 years then very suddenly and without warning the lid came down and banged me on my head. No problem, the door was OK.
I had installed twin lift cylinders on the Ford hood. While they did lift the hood nicely, I removed them when I found the lifts were holding the hood open about .125" off the windlace at the cowl. I am working on a new design with less lift. I need more of a lift-assist.
I have done very little shop time this year. Old age and generally falling apart that goes with age has limited me. I am not giving up, just yet. Every little bit of shop time today makes the next time easier to deal with.
Attachments
leonardo-da-vinci-32505.jpg
LIFT INSTALLED ON TRUNK HINGES.jpg
one of two lift cylinders.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Nikki nut shop.

Keep at it you will get there.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Nice to hear from you, Slospeed. I was ever hopeful that we had not lost another of the good guys.
Is it safe to ask about your Cummins project?
My 4bta is sitting in a transport cradle, where it has been for years. The L110 Shorty build was pushed back and never got restarted. I have about $20k in parts gathered for the L110 project. In fact, all I need to buy is a wire kit and Autometer Gauges. Well there is the little matter of HVAC. I will need heat, so why not have the AC? Vintage Air make a good fit.
I do not want to predict anything on the Ford. There is no pressure to finish the car because every car event has been cancelled due to covid19.
I do not think my 2002 Dodge 4X4 has gotten taller, so I have to blame old age creeping up on me. I cannot get up into this truck as easily as I used to. My wife has suggested that I finish the Ford first then L110 and sell the Dodge. I cannot make an argument against this.
I would rather drive an old IHC with a Diesel/automatic. The running-boards are a nice intermediate step up.
Last year I bought a matched set of Dana 44 axles from a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. The Dana 44, Jeep Grand Wagoneer axles I bought were too narrow by a few inches. I tossed out the "rubber tape-measure" I had used to measure the L110 and the Jeep axles, after I slapped myself up-side-the-head with it.
I got a Craigslist screaming deal on a set of new take-off Dodge Ram 1500 20 inch wheels for the "L" Shorty. Can you imagine BFG 265/60R20s on an Old "L"?
I am thinking I might paint the L110 a bright yellow with Rustoleum. I do not need or want that deep paint look like my Ford. That body and paint was $24,749.03. A good surface shine is good enough. I did have a yellow 1967 Mustang V8/automatic we had set up for autocross.
https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
Attachments
yellow L 110.jpg
I LIKE!
RAM 20 INCH X 8 WHEELS.jpg
20s
CAB WITH TWIN WINDOWS.jpg
What the "L"
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
4bta

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Yes it's been a while.
The k/4bt is sitting in the corner waiting it's turn.

I am back rebuilding the 27 after it had a run in with a sibling/tree so that has put everything else on hold. Covid19 is playing havoc here and closed a couple of places that were doing work on the 18.
Change of work a couple of years ago doesn't see me on the computer much these days. Working 10 to 12 hours 5 days a week also doesn't leave much spare time.

Glad to hear you are well (even If a bit older) stay safe

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Yes, I am back working on the Ford. I am not getting a lot done, but each little event takes it closer to being finished. I may have to do a total rewire on the Ford because of corrosion inside the Painless Performance harness.
I would like to add some Velcro to the leather fender covers. I need to move a bunch of my daughter's clutter off my JUKI sewing machine.
Attachments
JUKI 562 (3).jpg
FENDER COVER LEFT 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:26 pm

I have been spending a little time on the Ford. I am trying to remember where I left off. I need to oil-fog the cylinders to reduce the drag on the starter. The engine has been sitting much too long.
I have all of the replacement sensors for the crank and cam position system. The ECU has bee re-flashed for the latest operating system. The next move is up to me.
The weather is getting better and easier for me to be in the shop. I did not count on old age causing me this much mobility problem.
Getting old had not made shop life any easier.
It takes too long to warm the shop up, probably because of the cold heavy machinery.
I will need to buy new tires because the tires on the Ford are nearly 20 years old. There are fewer then 300km on these tires. The tires feel and look more like plastic than rubber.
I have been lucky with not having rodents getting into the Ford. I do not set bait and traps in the car. I have caught a few rodents away from the car. A bunch of mice got under an inverted cookie sheet that holds my shop fridge off the floor. I had drilled a drain hole in a corner of the tray. I gassed the mice with argon and they went to "sleep".
Attachments
GRILL GUARD INSTALLED 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm

Today's rodent check found nothing. We had about 2.5cm of snow last night. The temperature remains near freezing, today. By the time out temperature reaches double digits, I will be ready for a day in the shop. Walking requires all of my attention. the feeling is slowly returning to me left leg. I have had to relearn how to walk. Old age is not what I had hoped for.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion