OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

http://www.autorestorationsupply.com/
I just got off the telephone with Helga, the owner of AUTOMOTIVE REATORATION SUPPLY. Her company will be making the carpets for our FORD. The material I chose is GERMAN SQUARE WEAVE wool. The carpet set comes with all of the edges sewn, edged and with the proper underlay.
I was told that I can expect to see the carpet here in less than three weeks. I supplied my credit card and the deal is done. $877 plus shipping is a good deal, I feel , after having considering the grief that could be mine when I do not have the "tricks of the trade" My material cost would have been more than 60% of the finished and shipped product. I have so much else to do on the car and the goal date that waits for no man.
This carpet is the same material that our PORSCHES came with. I like the rough texture and toughness of the material. Even after decades of daily use, it remains in good condition.
I tried to buy the materials from the suppliers in this area and was totally shut down. There is an obvious attempt to keep the upholstery trade closed to the public and limited to the businesses. I do not buy into this stupidity and I am inspired to do my business elsewhere, ASAP. Our policy, here, is to buy local first then when that fails, move to the next closest supplier. RESTORATION AUTOMOTIVE SUPPLY is CANADIAN and this is important to me.
The owner of RESTORATION AUTOMOTIVE SUPPLY has a very endearing story, as told by her husband, on their web site.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm

After a late start, we got right at it. WE installed the AEROQUIP in-line fuel filter. It fits just under the PS reservoir. The fuel enters from the top of the filter and exits out the bottom. This is to prevent any filter clogging debris from falling back into the fuel line and not remaining in the filter.
We installed the WEATHERPACK bulkhead fitting and found out that the AC is just too close and rather than force things to fit, and possibly fail, we came up with a more than acceptable modification to the AC adapter plate that will lower it about 5/8". It is not possible to move the holes in the firewall or the AC unit, so the adapter goes under the knife.
The last two parts to go on the firewall VINTAGE AIR bulkhead fitting for the AC and the VINTIQUE electric motor for the wipers. Some things do not make any good sense to me.
After spending $175 for new wiper linkages and towers, I expected to get a complete kit. BUT, NO! I must buy the rubber seals for the wiper tower bases because the seals are not included in the kit. The seals are $4.95 for the pair. I got my son to phone in the order because I was not feeling civil enough to talk to the supplier. While I am on the subject of things that really set me off, It is just so wrong, to me, when the country of origin for reproduction parts is not NORTH AMERICA, where these cars were made.
Some of the off-shore repo parts are total junk. Before I tried to install new hinge pins, I measured each one with a MITUTOYO digital caliper. No two were the same diameter and the range was .007" from the smallest pin to the largest pin and the largest was .004" too small. The shop would not take the pins back so I ordered .005"oversize replacements from BOB DRAKE REPRODUCTIONS. I drilled out the hinges, made stainless bushings, reamed each one to a .0005" interference press in fit then reamed for .0005" clearance for the pins. While I really enjoy doing the work, I am not pleased with the junk that posses as parts.
Tomorrow, the AC goes in and the modified BMW power head-rest drive get installed. The BMW headrest power now drives the cowl vent.
In some of the pictures there is a larger aluminium baking pan. I get them at a restaurant supply. the large pans are only a few bucks. These pans work really well for containing and sorting parts. If you find yourself taking an oil filled something apart, these pans works really well. The size I buy is 20" by 30".
Attachments
VINTAGE AC HEAT AND COOL.jpg
VINTAGE AIR AC AND HEAT
VINTAGE AC ADAPTER PLATE.jpg
ADAPTER PLATE FOR THE AC
COWL VENT POWER DRIVE.jpg
POWER COWL VENT
FUEL FILTER AND ps RES..jpg
FUEL FILTER AND PS RES
WEATHERPACK BULKHEAD.jpg
WEATHER PAC BH FITTING
VINTAGE AIR BULKHEAD FITTING.jpg
VINTAGE AIR BULKHEAD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm

What is behind the dashboard?
It is filling up quite nicely, but it all fits and there is lots more to come.
It is too cool today to install the wiper tower seals, anyway, the glass has to go in first and the headliner guy wants the glass out.
We started pulling the wire through the car.
The leaking blue thing is not leaking, now. I tipped it up and put some anaerobic gel/sealant in and turned on the pressure for 10 seconds and let it sit for a few hours. LOCKTITE to the rescue.
Attachments
3 INCH EXHAUST.jpg
THREE INCH OUT THE BACK
WHATS UNDER YOUR DASH.jpg
POWER AND AC
COMPRESSSED AIR CONTROLS.jpg
AIR CONTROL CENTRE

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Brian

Come on mate get with the times 3" out the back don't cut it anymore got to turn it skyward and at least a 8" big chrome stack. Lol

Looking good

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:53 pm

The biggest that I have is 4 inch stainless pipe. Sorry, nothing for the 4T. I cant turn it up, too much rain, here.
This is the start of a muffler for an IHC LB engine
Some before and after pictures. The one in the middle, with the brass crank handle is 1945
Attachments
IMG-20111206-00196.jpg
before.jpg
left front view.jpg
Squaring the ends.jpg
LB BINDER MUFFLER 4 INCH
SISTERS.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:11 am

Brian

Wow old steady rest, little trick of the trade we would use was to get a length of Emery Cloth and wrap it around the tube (Smooth/back side towards tube) and clamp the 2 ends when you close the top jaw then tighten up your jaws onto the emery cloth as you would normally do then we would use ordinary oil in a can and just squirt it onto the job the cloth would soak up the oil and you could turn just a little quicker.

Boy you are bringing back some old memories.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:44 am

Keith Fenner of Turn Wright Machine Works does a conversation to rollers. I have subscribed to his You Tube channel.
I will try your "trick ".
That South Bend 16" continues to work OK after a good cleaning in the solvent tank and some adjustments . I bought this lathe for scrap value and it came with 6 chucks and dozens of other bits and pieces including a beautiful FAUSTORIA MACHINE LAMP. The lamp is now on a restored WF AND John Barnes 22 " drill press from 1886. The lathe and drill press are flat belt driven.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 pm

TODAY: We hooked up the power cowl vent drive, installed the ECU, mounted the satellite tracking, installed the hood hinges and one door contact switch then spent two hour looking for the other three.
The cowl vent power drive is from a BMW headrest power drive. About $20 complete and working
Attachments
BOB DRAKE REPRODUCTIONS STAINLESS HOOD HINGE.jpg
BOB DRAKE REPRODUSTION HOOD HINGE
CLOSE ENOUGH NO TOUCH.jpg
NO TOUCH
COWL VENT DRIVE 2.jpg
POWER COWL VENT DRIVE
ECU AND SATELLITE LOCATION.jpg
ECU AND SATELLITE TRACKER

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21 pm

A good night's sleep and a fresher thinker, I suddenly remember where the door switches were. The boxes had some other stuff that I had forgotten about. So before it went missing again, most of it got installed.
Years ago, I made four aluminum guides that accept the flexible ( stainless spring)wire conduits that goe from the doors to the "A" and "C" pillars. "A" and "C" pillar because the suicide rear doors hinge on the "C" pillar.
The door switches were a buck each at the BMW recycler and a major on-line retailer is asking $7.76.
There was still time before supper so I installed the intake manifold. It is an early OFFEWNHAUSER designed to use a Oldsmobile four barrel carb on a FORD FLATHEAD. An hour or two on the milling machine turned the carburetor base into a plenum chamber. 8 injector ports were milled into the intake runners then 8 injector sleeves were welded in place. Pictures of the common rail tomorrow. I had everything covered like the frame, suspension and the engine in an futile attempt to avoid so much body shop dust. Now, there are hours of detailed clean-up to do. I have some detailing brushes for motorcycles and I think they will work just fine on this car.
Attachments
TRUNK LATCH WITH POWER RELEASE.jpg
The power for the catch is from a FORD power door lock
LATCH AND PIN.jpg
latch goes on the roll-pan, pin on the lid.
CONDUIT SLIDER INSTALLED.jpg
SLIDER AND FLEX CONDUIT.jpg
slider and flex conduit
BMW DOOR CONTACT SWITCH.jpg
BMW door switch by HELLA
INTAKE MANIFOLD INSTALLED.jpg
Offenhauser intake manifold

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:32 pm