OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

These situations can make me question what I have done. The laptop diagnosis went to the fault in the crank sensor immediately. The fault/open would go away momentarily when the sensor wires were pushed in a little.
I ordered one each new sensors for $199 usd. I was hopeful they would be here today. The USPS tracking # suggests Monday is a better bet.
So, today the '40 is getting a little TLC. I try to be in the car and do something very day. I dont want rodents taking up residence. So far, my traps around the shop have been successful at thinning their population before they get to the car.
I want to get the '40 running as reliably as is possible with the Painless harness. At a later date, I will take great pleasure in cutting the Painless Performance harness out and replacing it with AMERICAN AUTO-WIRE or RON FRANCIS.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:09 pm

The reproduction steering wheel developed a .125" crack so it was replaced by the manufacturer, no question. Here is the thingee. The OEM steering wheel had stainless trim pieces that looked not too bad. The warrant replacement came with some soft aluminium wire that is easily formed to the grooves in the spokes. I don't like that look. SO. . . . . I took this opportunity to try some red paint as a pin stripe in the groove of the cracked wheel. I like it enough to make the red strip permanent on the new steering wheel. The red will match the other red trim on the car.
I "WISH" I had thought of this long ago.
Attachments
EFI SUPERCHARGED.jpg
STEERING WHEEL WITH RED PINSTRIPS.jpg
STEERING WHEEL WITH ALUIMINIUM TRIM.jpg
SHOFT KINOB.jpg
BATTERY BOX HANDLE.jpg
FORD DELUXE BADGE 3.jpg
PINSTRIPING THE STAINLESS TRIM.jpg
BBS ON THE WELD POSITIONER.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 pm

Looks good!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 pm

Thank You Lloyd. You are a man of good taste.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:19 pm

Well, I try, but there are those who would disagree with you. I have Good friends.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:14 am

I agree, looks stunning. You must have a steady hand. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:33 am

I cheated and bought a new Beugler deluxe pinstripe tool last year. My last Beugler fell apart after 55 years. I bought the new to me Beugler on eBay and I got a really good deal. I am a little shakey in my old age for hand brush paint strip work. Some days are better than others. Plus, I am out of practice. I bought some 1-Shot paint, it is expensive now. RUSTOLEUM works for me.
If a person has any interest in Beugler there are a few really good videos on YouTube. My favorite YouTube sign and pinstriper is Monkey Signs in Washington State.

https://youtu.be/gtUEclhQXzA

https://youtu.be/ABETHzWKy8U

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am

I agree, the red on the steering wheel really looks good with all the other red details.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm

I like the look of that tool. It must make it a lot easier, although i would imagine still lot skill.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 pm

I picked up the replacement cam and crank position sensors today. They are $99.00USD each.
The replacements have a support for the wires where they leave the sensor. The original have no wire support and I am convinced this contributed to the failure of the wires.
Electronic engine management at this level is very expensive, and I do not mind. I would have been better if the OEM parts were better designed for flex resistance and longevity.
Attachments
distributor sensors.jpg
FAIL POINT OF THE ORIGINAL SENSORS
NEW SENSORS.jpg
REPLACEMENT SEMSORS
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion