CANNONBALL

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 pm

CANNONBALL

Cannonball didn't drive an IH but the old trucks were nice to see. Every now and then the sound of the Old GM in-line six can be heard wheezing. The acting in more than a little laughable. Notice that the bad guys are driving a standard transmission with a V8. The punch-in-the-face sound effects is out of time with the "contact".
http://youtu.be/mSLoZzJ-7kc
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: CANNONBALL

Some had the 4-71's as well, if you thought the 6-71 was underpowered...
Of course the GMC gasser to 503 CID were also used.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: CANNONBALL

I am rather fond of the Screamin' Jimmies for their sound. the shop where I worked used to build and maintain a dozen 12V71s. The engines had to be certified on the Dynometer because they were for marine use. I would stay after work from time to time to listen to the Detroit Music. I was always fascinated by the zero to hero response times. Eventually the 12V71s were replaced with the Series 60 14 litre. I was told that the Ship's Masters preferred the rapid response of the V12 over the Big 60 Series, but the company liked the improved fuel economy of the S60. The company ran hundreds of the Series 50 Detroits and they were really pretty good. If it were not for the counter-balance shafts in the Series 50, I think that four banger would have jumped out an taken on a new life of its own somewhere else. The earlier models did not have a waste gate system and that little engine could build 50 pounds of boost easily. I've seen the turbo and exhaust manifolds turn nearly white hot on a long, test drive, climb up a local mountain road. We were able to take an inspection cover off to view the engine. All of the transmissions were Allison or the later WT version. That old saying that they all "look like sisters" certainly applies to the Allison transmissions. The WTs were something quite different and full electronic. There are some strong family resemblances in the TH350, TH400 and TH475 transmissions. I used to rebuild a few Allison 545s at home, but I valued my time off more than I was being compensated for it, so I loaded several transmissions, hundreds of parts, completer factory manuals, a complete set of 545 tools and a home-made transmission mount/stand into my R120 and made a deal with a local transmission shop where they do ALLISONS. The stand held the transmission case by the PTO mount and the transmission case could be rotated with a modified slack adjuster drive of 22-1. I like the smell of DEXTRON 3.
Dextron 3 makes a good air tool lubricant and Diesel fuel additive. I use D3 from time to time on the mill and lathe as a cutting fluid. It also works as a machine lube.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to Non-IH discussion