Auto Club of SoCal--WTH is this?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Auto Club of SoCal--WTH is this?

Looks like it might be made of hemp to me? That's what made me think of the camo.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Mystery solved,I found the answer! :D
I used Google images,it gave me the site where Don found it and one other.Not much so I took the caption under the pic and Googled it...
Weighing rubber at Union Oil Station at 11th and Hill Streets, Los Angeles, 1942

Found the origin...
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/ref/c ... 59/id/1477

Further down was a link for AAA with that text in it,it doesn't open right though,it "redirects" you to AAA's home page. :evil:
Opened it using "cached" and made my way to it that way.

Here's the scoop...

OffRamp, Westways

Getting in the Scrap
Southern Californians support the troops in 1942
By Morgan P. Yates
Westways January/February 2011

Photo: Auto Club Archives

Auto Club employees unload scrap tire casings at a Union Oil station collection depot on the corner of 11th and Hill streets in downtown L.A. in this June 1942 image. The load of nearly three tons of casings came from a Sunland citrus rancher who had acquired them to fuel his smudge pots in freezing weather. At the time, gas cost 19 cents a gallon, a bottle of Coke was a nickel, and scrap rubber went for a penny a pound.

The admonition “Don’t you know there’s a war going on?” emphasized the need for home front sacrifices—from scrap drives to rationing of food and consumer goods—during World War II. At the outset of the war, Japan invaded Southeast Asia, blocking America’s access to its primary source of natural rubber. In a radio appeal in June 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt called for a nationwide scrap drive to address the rubber shortage and to give Americans a sense that they could, and must, do their part to support military efforts overseas.

Civilians donated old tires, hot water bottles, shoes, and even girdles to be recycled and used to make military boots, vehicle tires, inflatable boats, insulated wire, and other products our troops needed. And before the war ended, everything from gasoline to typewriters to shoes to cooking fat was rationed, as consumer goods took a backseat to military production.

The close of the war brought an end to rationing and the collecting of salvaged materials. Ration books were ceremoniously burned, and Americans looked forward to the next chapter of what would be a tumultuous century.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Very nice!
I wonder what today's California Air Resources Board would have to say about smudge pots?
They were everywhere we looked in the orchards as kids.
I was born in '57. Never saw one burn in a orchard that I remember. Of course the orchards were being torn out for houses.
Story was that everything turned black in the areas around where the smudge pots burned. Clothes on the clothesline. Paint on cars.
"Frostless belt"? Yeah right!
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion