Gone over to the "dark side"

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:28 am

Gone over to the "dark side"

Bought my first non IC car last Saturday. I don't drive much compared to my trucking days, may be one trip to town a week. My wife goes 5-6 days a week but never further than town, 13 miles away.
I could buy a used high mileage econo box with over 200K on it, or a nice low mileage electric.
Not giving up my K's or my Saab turbo, but the 23 year old Camry may go down the road soon.
Car is like new and a joy to drive. Can make two round trips to town with room to spare.
No, it will not serve all our needs, but it will fit 99% of the trips taken.
Living out in the country, a single car would not be practical no matter how it was powered. No start, or some breakdown and no way to get parts or a rental. Two cars are a practical if not actual necessity.
Nice to drive something that is not all shagged out from age and miles.
Saab turbo is still a great road car, and will likely serve for years to come.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:11 am

Re: Gone over to the "dark side"

Considering doing the same! What did you end up with? Do you have a hybrid or total electric?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:34 am

2015 Leaf. Like new inside. Yes, it has limited range, about 65 miles on the "guess o meter" as they refer to range indicator. The early ones had shorter battery life, but even the later ones do degrade over time.
The big thing for aficionados is to find a late model wreck and get the 65 KW battery and bolt into an earlier car. Mine has a 24Kw battery.
My view is if it can't return home to recharge, it isn't a good fit for your use. Not to say I wouldn't want more range. If it could, it would fit more of our of our infrequent trips to either Des Moines or Omaha. Going to the wife's sisters in Illinois would still be the purview of the Saab 900.
Each of the electrics have strong points and weak. With the Leaf, as far as I have read, battery life CAN be a problem but is not always, depends on how and where it was used. They are only air cooled, and heat, fast charging all the time, and recharging "hot" can shorten the life, but on the other hand, the drivetrain is almost bulletproof. Tesla, and others that use Tesla's drivetrain have motor problems, where coolant leak into the motor from a bad seal. Some have learned how to repair and improve the design, making it better than when it left the factory.
I know of an ex Saab mechanic, who has a Bolt and remarked over his years of owning, has only had to to replace wiper blades and re fill the washer fluid!
One thing, for my use and location, I decided to buy a used tow dolly, both to make the trip from the Twin Cities where I bought it, and for trips to a dealer if needed or a breakdown of either my Saab or Leaf. Makes it easy to move cars.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:38 am

Oh, and forgot to answer your question about Hybrid:
My brother has Prius and recommends them, however for the cost of the Leaf, I would be buying a used Prius with high 100K or low 200k miles. He runs them up until 300K and then sells. I didn't want something with that many miles, but on the other hand, they are not range limited like an all electrics.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:14 am

How's car insurance on ICs?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:46 am

If by IC's you mean electric, then the same as a gas engine car.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:46 am

It sounds like you have thought your move out well and done your homework. How much more range would the 65 kw battery give you?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:07 pm

b4autodark wrote:It sounds like you have thought your move out well and done your homework. How much more range would the 65 kw battery give you?

I think they claim 235 or so. I really don't know. I don't think a 65Kw battery is in my future.
There is a place in NZ that is working on a liquid cooled battery (like the Tesla and other use) for the Leaf as a retro-fit. The 1st one they have in proto-type is 40 Kw and will cost around 10 grand but is all new. In 5-7 years I might consider it if mine has degraded much by then. That would allow trips of 150 miles or so without recharge.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:51 pm

NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R adapter finely came so now the car can charge in the garage, and leave my welder receptacle in the barn for that purpose. I have 125 amp service split between house, barn and garage. All should be good.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:40 am

Let us know what you think of the heater on this one.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion