Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

manicmechanic wrote:Hey , what do you guys think about the oil pipe line and the mining of the oil sands ? Just saw the extent of the operation , pretty big . Searched the topic and didn't see anything .

I know this for sure, the is no common agreement on the Fort McMurray tar-sand oil extraction. Here in British Columbia I know there is very little support for the pipeline proposal that will bring oil to the West Coast and then onto ships for export. The oil tankers pass under the Iron Worker Memorial bridge, aka Second Narrows Bridge, through Burrard Inlet between Vancouver and North Vancouver under The Lions Gate Bridge into English Bay, past West Vancouver and their hundred million dollar homes and then on to the narrow and complicated route through the Gulf Islands. The Gulf Islands are mostly in Washington State and just south of Vancouver Island. An oil spill in anywhere along this route would be a disaster greater than the scale of the Alaska EXXON Valdez crash and spill was in 1989 in Prince William Sound. The environmental damage there in 1989 is still a situation and the locals say EXXON have never paid up for the clean-up. That is 29 years.
Many Canadians have asked the question, "Why do we not send this oil across Canada to the Atlantic Provinces since Canada imports oil for that area?" This subject is a regular news item.
I watch the Canadian CBC for national news and Global TV for the local spin. Outside of Alberta, where the Fort Mac oil originates, there is little support for the new pipeline with the public. The pipeline is a political balancing act for politicians. The majority of the public on the west side of the Rocky Mountains do not want the pipeline. Kinder Morgan is the company who is promoting the Alberta oil pipeline. The environmentalists point out the long history of this company having pipeline failures and how the company dealt with these oil spills. Response time and clean-up is so important. If this oil was going to a local refinery for our own consumption, the local support is very little beter. As it is, much of our refined product, for the Lower Mainland, like gasoline, comes to British Columbia from Washington State.
I am not a supporter of an additional pipeline. I think the risks are much too high.
I tend to keep my feelings on the "volatile" subject to myself. I am not out there on the protest line with the environmentalists. I think the risks are too high for the environment.
Our newly elected NDP provincial government has had to form a coalition with the Green Party to get the majority they need to for government in BC. The New Democratic Party was totally environmentally conscience at one time and we know where the Green Party stands on this oil thing. I doubt the leader of the Greens, Doctor Andrew J. Weaver, will support additional oil pipeline.
We have, like The USA lost so much manufacturing and the jobs that went with the manufacturing to "The East". Now we are shipping oil to that area to support what we have lost. I do not "get it."
Shipping our oil to a country that is environmentally conscious would be less offensive to many Canadians. Here north of the 49th we understand that there is only one atmosphere and one ocean tha we all share. My friend in Barbados says, "If I pi$$ in the ocean in Bridgetown, Barbados, the ocean will rice in Vancouver Harbour. ( figuratively speaking)
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 am

It just seems like it a huge enviromental impact , to a fairly pristine area , or am I wrong ? I know that it has really got whats left of the Indians pissed off . I'm all for doing what we can for developing resources to break our dependence on arab oil , but we need to consider all things when evaluating return on investment .
The size of the equiptment is staggering , keeping a close watch on an operation like that is a big job , are they doing it ?

a

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 am

I have nothing more to add to this subject. There is lots of information on the Internet. The interest of all those involved at every level is easily Googled.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 am

agreed. just opinion though, the pipeline is a real bad idea.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 pm

The ram fuel tank looks like it might be a tight fit for a COMFO-VISION cab. Tight is alright. If the rain ever stops, I will crawl under the Dodge with a tape measure.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 am

Don’t you mean 124.959L? With just a tick over 1 gal left in the tank I’d be surprised if you didn’t run a bunch air through the system getting to the gas station.

I found the bottom of the tank in an ‘01 VW Golf TDI years ago. I managed over 750mi on 14ish gal of fuel and a bottle of Stanadyne.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 am

The new Ram Cummins exhaust system sure sounds nice when I drive past something that reflects sound. Other than that situation I don't hear any difference inside the cab.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 pm

I had lunch at A&W today. I had a Teen burger, onion rings and a small root beer. The price and $12.31. That is expensive for what I ordered, but nostalgia is worth something. The drink was watered-down and burger and onion rings were nearly tastless. I have not been to And W for decades and I will not be going back any time soon. Back to McD's next time. :t2102:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 am

That was my impression last time I ate at A&W, too. Either it's not like it used to be, or I'm old enough that history is getting better with age.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm

restoKB1 wrote:agreed. just opinion though, the pipeline is a real bad idea.

The inter-provincial battle goes on over the pipeline. The Premier of Alberta has banned BC wine in Alberta. The BC government is not responding, although BC has gone to court for clarification.
When my wife learned of the silly Alberta ban on BC wine, she went to our local liquor store and bought four cases of BC, Jackson Triggs wine. She has some empty spaces in her wine cellar.
The First Nations people are educated and know their rights. There are more than a few First Nations' lands between Alberta and the West Coast. I have to think the First Nations will be a formidable obstacle to the pipeline while they protect their lands.
I wold think Canadian oil should go east and not west. Big oil IRWIN imports from the Middle East for Eastern Canada petroleum refineries. I think Quebec has denied pipeline access across that province.
So, it all falls on the lap of our Gentleman's Quarterly Prime Minister to sort this out. He should be back in Canada in the not too distant future from his visit to India.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion