Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:49 am

Re: Virtual Front Porch

I've spent many years working at the United States Holocaust Museum , mostly at night , somehow they figure out how to work the winters on the exterior of the building , spent many a night on the sides of that building , limestone cladding investigations and repair . The U.S. Treasury is next door ,the mint where they make the money . Wednesdays about 3 am there are 3,4,or 5 armored cars ,large ones that come out of the back driveway , of the mint , the buildings are seperated only by 2 driveways ,1 each and a concrete wall between . on the side of the building is an exelent vantage point to see the them come out . I've seen in the small side door windows pallets of bills , they print small bills there , and word is that they are going to New Jersey to get the numbers printed on them . About 2,3 years ago they started taking a tractor trailer down the driveway into the building , what was amazing to me was that somewhere down there they have room to turn it around , [old building colums 20' on center ] and it comes rolling out timed to the light at the top of the driveway and away it goes .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 am

Brings up an interesting question. Wonder how a person goes about getting a job driving one of those trucks? Certainly you can’t just apply at their HR office. I don’t imagine they’d run an ad in the “Want Ads”. Who and what address would you send a resume? Would you need to be specially trained in firearms and terroristic techniques? I couldn’t see a college educated, CIA trained agent, ex-Marine special forces being assigned to truck driving school. I’m retired and don’t need a job, but sometimes questions such as these come into my mind and I can’t help but ponder the issue and imagine what it would take to secure such a job.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:06 am

The drivers seamed middle aged 35 ish, the security personnel seamed a bit younger. My guess is they are recruited from and may be "employed" by the military. I would be surprised if it is job you could get from the "outside".
Buddy Sumbarts Marmons were all equipped with Allison Automatics. Not that hard to train someone to drive one of those. I bet every man on the "crew" in all positions are cross-trained on every other position.
Given the age of the people I saw, my guess it is a plum job available to valued "20 year men". Not too stressful, get plenty of home time. They didn't look like military rank and file, some beards,longer hair, etc, blended in with the rest of the truckers, with the one exception, that they all look more "physically fit" than most truckers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:12 am

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:31 pm

https://images.app.goo.gl/gQF3RkooqDwuL72d7
The Rolland Alexander “Buddy” Sombart estate auction link

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Buddy was some man! He was thrown off the top of a 14" load of hay he was tarping when he was 17, broke his back and lived the rest of his life in a wheelchair. I never heard a bitter word about it from him, never lost his passion from trucks, esp odd ball ones, Marmon held a special place in his life and he owned several. He personally reach out me out to invite me to his truck show in Adrian, MO.
I think he died the next or the year after I met him.
Life was not kind to the man, but he found a way to enjoy what he could. Even went so far as to equip one of his Marmon Cabovers with a wheel chair lift and hand controls.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:59 am

Some old film prints from my heavy haul days.
Attachments
Branhart Pacific.jpg
Barnhart Pacific and Goldhoffer
steam sterlizer.jpg
Steam sterilizer and long load, 98' from king pin to center of tandems
Scan_Pic0003.jpg
EMD 20cyl generator and switch gear, 170,000lb gross

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:50 pm

I noticed that a crack had formed on our patio/deck at the back of the house. The crack was covered by an epoxy finish, so it was not leaking. Another clue that something was not right was the siding had started to compress and bulge.
I knew this was serious, so we called a contractor we know to have him check it out. The attached pictures tell the story. The cause was from poor water sealing.
The damage is a few hours away from being totally repaired. 105225
Attachments
porch rot 3.jpg
porch rot 2.jpg
porch rot 1.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 pm

Glad you caught it before a "fail" and much more expensive repairs were required.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion