Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

Moving on with the project. The fabricated base adapts the CGE electric motor and keeps the weight low. After everything is fitted, the drill press will be going out for metal cleaning. I discovered another owner of the same drill press and his pictures show how to take the base off and remove the lift system for the table. It is going to be heavy.
Since the table is terribly damaged and poorly repaired, I will have a new surface plate cut at a local business where they do water-jet precission cutting. On my last visit, they were cutting components for gas turbine engines. When this business first opened, they were cutting their business cards with a water-jet and the card fit together like a puzzle. The cards were made from that day's scrap croppings.
OEM base in mobile base

milled flats for fasteners.

more of the same

motor mounted with double segmented belt drive.

I have discovered a local business that sells belting of all kinds. The owner has kindly offered to supply the flat drive belt that I need.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 pm

I posted this somewhere else, thought I'd post it here.
My Dad was a WWII B-17 and DeHavillnd Mosquito pilot. And a really great guy, too.
He either gave or let someone borrow his jacket probably 60 years ago. We thought it was lost forever.
With the passing of my Mom and Dad it came to light that my Aunt (pictured next to my Mom) very well might have it.
She said she did...
My cousins insist no, what do you do?
Anyway I'm the youngest son so I wouldn't get it. My oldest brother has two sons.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I changed my mind and changed the motor drive mount system for the WF and John Barnes drill press. It fits, it works. I'm picking up a reversing barrel switch tomorrow. I have thought of using original switch, but it is too far gone and someone has messed with it.
The 32 millimeter combination wrench will become a crank handle. It came from a second-hand store and was only a few bucks. The open goes into the toolbox for the South Bend 16" lathe.
I picked up the Toshiba microwave cabinet material at the transfer station. A few cuts with the plasma cutter and a fold or two it will be repurposed as the motor cover for the drill press. The cabinet has a few really nice louvers that will be included.
It was a great day and my son showed up and gave me a hand for a few hours. He is working night shift. Today should be the first of his three days off, but the lure of overtime has him going into work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 am

Just finished up the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, WA. Beautiful weather and a great festival. This is my second year in a row and I hope to come back next year with one of my own projects completed. I'm thinking a strip built stand up paddle board. I tried one out today and it was a pretty sweet design.

I brought a good friend of mine with me. He's been talking for years about building an Inuit skin kayak, but he doesn't have a lot of cash and finding those 18 foot lengths of clear lumber can be pretty difficult. At the end of the festival we walked through the boat yard and stumbled on a nice pile of offcuts. Asked around and were told that we could take all we wanted for free, since they would likely be cut up and burned this winter. So my buddy has all the wood he needs now to get building on the frame of his kayak. This is some NICE wood- 20 foot lengths of white oak, cedar, Douglas fir and mahogany. Laid claim to a few strips of mahogany for my paddleboard. :D

He's happy as a pig in you-know-what. Now it's all strapped to the roof of my little Mazda wagon. Hope we make it to his place in Spokane in one piece. Long day's drive tomorrow.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:22 am

Once owned an RX4 wagon, great little car, Love the Rotary motor! Wish I still had one.

Sounds like you also got a real good find of Wood.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 am

Boy I wish I could find a pile of wood like that. I could make good use of it with some of my furniture projects.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Oh, Rotary Mazda!
Apex seals go out and ....rrrrrrrrrBANG!..rrrrrrrrBANG!..rrrrrBANG! backfires through the gears.
Haven't thought about that for years. Hilarious.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Look at what I found on Craigslist at 03:45 this morning. I sent a text and it was mine. The worst part was riding through the near grid-lock traffic in Vancouver.
A bunch of WD40 and it works. Lets see, HMM. apple green?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 am

I presume that is an apple peeling machine? Just guessing. Really have no idea what it is.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I should have mentioned that it is in fact an apple peeling machine. I have yet to determine the age of it, but I rather doubt that I was built yesterday. It is a wonder to watch as the tangle of timed bits and pieces clatter and bang and look like they could scare the hide off of an apple, if the blade fails. I am not your "patina guy" so this will get a complete restoration. The peeler will be mounted on an oak base and become another working collectable. I like the original apple green.
I never know what or who I might find when I go to pick up something from a Craigslist seller. Yesterday was a total exception to the usual blue collar experience. The seller lives in an up-scale condo with two passenger elevators and an industrial freight unit. We went into the second underground and it was brightly lighted and the floors and walls were painted a cream white. There were many collectable cars under fitted covers and a row of restored British 4X4s. A few of the fitted covers looked like they were hiding Porsches.
I have been to a few places where a wrong step could spell disaster and the junk teetered precariously in random piles. I am often reminded of the TV show American Pickers. The absolute worst situation was a picking up an IHC R&L seat frame and the seller had an out-of-control Pit-bull running around and acting very angry. While I was there, the PB attacked the wife's Black Lab and she appeared at the door, in seconds, with a rifle and shot the PB. I paid for the seat frame and GTFOT ASAP.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion