Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:49 am

Re: Virtual Front Porch

I live in England and we are now pretty much in lock down. No travelling abroad unless absolutely essential. Panick buying in the shops are leading to shortages in pretty much every apart from sun tan cream. No toilet roll, kitchen roll, pasta, rice the list goes on. Cinema's have closed down, government had advised don't go to restaurants, clubs or pubs.

In other news on 29th February i became a grandpa. Which as great as it is, it brings worries. It is a different world we now live in.

Wishing everyone health and happiness. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Luke,
Congratulations on becoming a grandpa! Grandkids are one of the best parts of becoming older.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Our common Canadian, American border is closed to all but the most important trade crossings. Sorry, Lloyd, this means you are not allowed to cross.
Who would have thought? The hoarders have stripped the shelves of product at the liquor stores. this province has declared a state of emergency. The unusual powers that go with this situation allow for police intervention to stop hoarders. Resellers can be arrested and held indefinitely.
Our medical system has asked for retired medical professionals to apply if they can. The system has been overwhelmed by requests to return. Most retired Doctors are refusing compensation.
I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around what is happening, out there. The hour long noon news lasted for nearly two hours. Many of our emergency leaders spoke. This is not unlike a war measured act.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:54 pm

nikkinutshop wrote: I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around what is happening, out there. The hour long noon news lasted for nearly two hours. Many of our emergency leaders spoke. This is not unlike a war measured act.

Its like living a Stephen King movie. Sask. just declared state of emergency this afternoon. First case of community spread Covid discovered here today. Stores had normal stocks last week when I was in town but a week is a long time these days. When the ammunition stores start to sell out I'll be worried.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:56 am

Thank you Dean, it is indeed a joy.

More lock downs in the Uk. Schools will close on Friday, London underground partially closed from today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:27 am

nikkinutshop wrote:My friend from the North Shore was nearly killed when his car was rear-ended when he slowed to turn onto his street. He has had several years of walking getting more difficult and he figured he would be in a wheeled chair by the end of this month. He was recommended to a chiropractor and decided to give it a try. A few weeks and a few treatments, my friend was up and walking. He is nearly 70.
He called this morning to tell me he bought another motorcycle for his collection of bikes. This one is a new Ducati Monster 1200. My friend was going for a ride to Horse Show Bay and back. By the time he got to the top of his steep driveway, he told me he was terrified, but too scared to turn back because his wife was watching. He drove around the block and went to a friend's house and an hour later he returned home. In answer to his wife's "Well?" He said "OMG that is one fantastic bike!" The Ducati has fewer than 100 kilometers on the clock. The seller was panicked by the covid19. His new Ducati is in the downstairs recreation room with his other 5 motorcycles.
https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/monster/monster-1200
My wife went to our local grocery store for a loaf of bread. There is no, toilet paper, napkins, kitchen paper towels, bread, meat, flour and almost no dairy. The manager gave my wife a loaf of rye bread, one of two, he was holding back for himself.
We have been long term shopper at this store, so, with that comes some special treatment. The manager is going to hold the groceries my wife wants in the back.
My son has my truck so I am not able to get out for a drive to McD's for a drive-thru coffee.
My Doctor's appointment was cancelled today. My prescriptions will come directly from the pharmacy. :t3717:

I was looking at the Monster 1200 street bike, and looked up the factory 200 HP racing version. Being I can't go any ware, I like watching stuff like that. Unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6axuyMCZlZ8

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm

My wife went shopping for groceries at the local Buy-Lo food store. She was able to get everything she went for, today. The store has put limits per customer on purchases.
The covid19 pandemic continues to march on, but at a much reduced pace here. There are many charts showing what is happening. https://www.google.ca/search?q=covid+19 ... 3&dpr=1.75
My friend saw his doctor on Monday. He was tested and he has bronchitis, not covid19. He is under orders to stay at home. So, he is having a concrete contractor in to do some home improvements in his yard.
It must be spring. I hear Harleys and lots of them.
Attachments
loud pipes.jpg
loud pipes
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:48 pm

I am heading out tomorrow (Fri) unless something changes. I'll report in on what I find from the road. This is a test to see if thing can be moved.
While the products I am hauling are not "life or death" they do figure into the food chain, so I am going to try and get them where they need to be.
If it turns out to be hard or if I feel like I am getting sick, I'll park it and stay home.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:14 pm

A week ago today I had a total knee replacement. I had to spend only one night in the hospital for which I am grateful. I just heard our Gov. Walz has banned all elective surgeries so I just skated in. Went for my first PT session on Monday and explained to the therapist we were heading to the farm to "social distance" and she had one session to fix me. She was the greatest and said she understood completely, loaded the wife and I up with excersizes to do and what to expect. She called today to see how I'm doing and was shocked to hear I tossed the walker aside and was using a cane as of this morning. She assured us I would fully recover and looks forward to seeing us when the crisis passes.

I will talk to the surgeons office next week and ask them for protocol for removing my wound dressing. If they insist I visit their office I will refuse. I know what an infected wound looks like and will get treatment if that happens.

We have ample supply of our prescription drugs and firewood and are looking forward to leaving Minneapolis tomorrow for the great north.

The car is gassed up and ready to go- - -Costco $1.79 per gallon.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:59 pm

All the same restrictions here, and they get tighter every day we have 4 confirmed cases in the nearby town but those were Texas tourists here on spring break going to the local ski area. By now there are probably many more cases of varying severity that are unconfirmed The wife and I always have a little extra here in the way of food and supplies for blizzards, power outages, etc. so the hording has not effected us that much. It's sad to see how people react to these kinds of situations. There would be enough of everything if people just practiced a little restraint and human decency. My biggest worry is for my wife, she contracted viral pneumonia last year and is still not 100%, that puts her in a very high risk category. we will be keeping a low profile till this thing plays out.
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion