Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

restoKB1 wrote:right. the cars/trucks I buy are American owned and did not receive government bailout.
What does American Owned mean to you?
It is not clear what your are saying. Does this mean you are buying FORDS ? Maybe Subaru?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Everyone probably has their own version of this story, but this happened to me today.
Auto Parts stores. I went in to the local parts store today to get a metric size spark plug socket.
Me: “I need a metric size spark plug socket. Can you show me where they are?”
Attendant: “Let me see what we show for them.” (Goes to the computer) “What year and size engine do you have?”
DUUUUHHHHH‼️‼️‼️‼️
The two young women and young man in the store were totally clueless that there is a difference between regular sockets and spark plug sockets (much less that it doesn’t matter what year and size my engine is). The young man showed me to the regular deep well sockets and their display of deep well sockets was almost depleted and didn’t even have a hook for 16mm regular sockets, much less the spark plug kind I was trying to get.
Me: “Ok, I’ll continue my search down the street.”
I went to Walmart. Viola.
I went to the local speed shop for the new spark plugs, too. (Cheaper there than advertised for the Auto Parts store)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm

I stopped at a not so local auto parts store a decade ago because of a sign in the window. The sign offered Chevron 15/40 for fifty cents a liter. There was 30 cases of 15/40 oil in metal cans left and I bought them all. Just as we were loading the last case into my pickup, the store owner arrived. He went ballistic. I got the impression he had purchased the oil for a loss-leader sale to get persons to come into the shop.
I reminded him that he had not put a limit number per customer on the sign and he had not told his sales staff about a customer limit, this made him even more angry. He offered to buy the oil from me, I agreed and my price would be a dollar a can. This is when he started swinging, just as the city police were driving by.
Anyway, I poured the 15/40 into four liter Chevron 15/40 jugs for easier storage and sent the empty cans for recycling. Yesterday, I noticed that there is one 20 liter jug left.
I responded to a Craigslist ad and went to a warehouse to make a deal on 1000 AKRO MILLS parts bins. the owner/seller was obviously stoned on MJ and the smoke hung heavily in the air. He started counting out the bins and continued to lose his count, so he would start over. I suggested that he sell all of the bins to me for $100, he agreed and had a couple of his flunkies load my pickup. The next day the seller called me on my cell. He had the number from my response to his Craigslist advert. He accused me of ripping him off and he wanted me to return all but 50 of the bins. He said he was not feeling well when I took advantage of him. I was close to cooperating when he lost his temper and started handing out insults. I resembled a few of his insults, but I was not persuaded to help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 pm

SPELL CHECK

As if this would happen.
Attachments
mother forklift.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:41 pm

The forum sure is quiet. Is everyone on vacation?
I was going to go out to the she shop today and take care of a list of to-do items, but the fresh morning air rapidly turned into too hot for me. The temperature is 33C (91.4F) now. My wife had a heat-pump installed in the home AC. It is a comfortable 20C in the house.
I do not remember the weather ever being this hot for this long. Our summers were always interrupted with a refreshening monsoon every two weeks of so. There has not be any measurable rain here in more than a month. The Province of British Columbia is on fire. The Province has hired fire fighters from Australia to assist our best efforts. California has bigger fire problems than BC.
The Canadian news reported that the earth is at the risk of out of control unstoppable heating. I think this is part of an unavoidable cycle between golbal heating and cooling.
I am not convinced that industrialization is the root cause of global warming.
My wife has tried to keep her garden alive and the heat is winning. She puts our allowed amount of water on the garden at night and by noon the dirt is all but dried.
Attachments
BURNING PEE.jpg
BURNING PEE.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 2331 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Many folks are hurting and the fires rage on.
darn sad...

Be safe,

Steve Molcsan

fyi all - I do suggest use of a particulate mask in the smoke areas which is all of
california on most days. :(
Research for the type best for you,, they are life and health savers !

This is a stay safe tip, brought to you by Molcsan Electric , Always taking the
lead in Job Site Safety. :) I needed a smile !
I wish you all well..
Last edited by Harvey on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Allow me to elaborate on my safety tip above :

Here in the bay area these days there is a high inversion of forest fire smoke that sometimes stays above 10,000 feet

you may not necessarily smell the smoke but, the heavy nano particulates re constituted in the air due to the fires do
rain down they get blown around in the breeze but gravity eventually wins , and our lungs loose, most matter particles have no odor
and can be anything from benign to cancerous. :(

Serious stuff that needs to be said..

SM

---
Recent Examples of particulate from the Web

The main worry is with the tiniest motes — known as PM 2.5, particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns across.

Sara Morrison, USA TODAY, "In developing world, an expensive push to reduce cooking fire deaths falls short," 13 July 2018
By mid-century, scientists forecast an additional 13,000 human deaths annually caused by high levels of fine particulate matter in the summer and another 3,000 caused by ozone in the Eastern United States.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 pm

I would have thought the smoke we are experiencing here may have come from the wild fires in the BC interior. The meteorologist from Environment Canada says that upper air currents in the Jet stream are carrying smoke from the fires in Siberia, Russia. The smoke in combination with very high ozone levels are a threat to persons, like myself. I have a compromised respiratory system. I am not having trouble breathing, just yet, but I have an uncomfortable heaviness in my chest.
Our evening news meteorologist says that the changing Jet stream may be carrying some California smoke into Canada in the near future.
My wife and I went out for supper this evening. When we left home, the temperature in the shade was 33C.(92)
The weather report suggests a drop in temperature tomorrow and into the weekend.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 pm

Cool ocean breezes at my local this evening with the smoke hovering at high altitude.
almost feels like fall , until morning light from the bright red sun.
I was told today that the sun has been a very peculiar dark red at sunset and sunrise in the Carr Ca area.
where one of the many fires are burning.

Strange to say the least....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Since this is front porch and a place to talk:

Sunday morning 6am , a Car drives right through the front window and doors at the local coffee shop.
Takes out building patio column and all.

Monday morning, Me standing at the local gas station with a coffee shop view, just watching as folks drive up thinking
there going to get there morning cup of joe, instead they see the damage to to storefront, red tag yellow tape,
with obvious business closure. Instead of driving off they stop any which way
in the lot to snap a photo of the damage.. I counted 15 folks ( its a SB coffee shop so
it busy ) all honking and screaming at each other for cross parking while piling
up to take pictures,, go figure that out...

Don;t get me wrong I like taking photos but really people...
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion