Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

Weeeeel, fellers--it's back to work for my fat ass. At least for now.
You will notice a distinct chirping of crickets from Central CA.
I will check in here and there but nothing like the obsessive amount of time I spent for the last three months.
I've had a great time, met a lot of new friends.
If you ever have any deep SMOG or driveability problems on your vehicles don't hesitate to hit me up for help. That's what I do for a living.
I will continue to cruise the internet for pictures of giant insects and International Harvesters.
Now I know I have to have a 1920s S ( Red Baby Dreamin') and a 1950s B pickup in my collection!
I have a huge collection of IHC parts at my house.
Since my hip replacement I've decided to downsize my hoard in order to be a smaller burden to my kids in the ( distant I hope) future.
Please email me with requests.
Things like half-ton fenders are difficult to find no matter who you ask.
I do have extra wheels, axles, frames, cabs, beds, windshield frames 1929-1960.
Thanks Don
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:56 am

Generous offer, Don.

You might want to make up a list and post it in the classified section. Not sure people will see it here.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:58 pm

WF AND JOHN BARNES drill press:
The restoration continues. The build up of crud was so thick that I had to give in a and send the base out to a commercial sandblaster. Even after my three days struggling with removing the 130 years of build-up, it still took another 20 minutes of intense blasting with a garnet grit. I used TREMCLAD, the Canadian equivalent of RUSTOLEUM to spray paint the parts. This product covers really well and it does not take much paint to get really good coverage. Everything got three to five coats.
I am pleased that the guard experiment worked out in the end. Those metal donuts are used for header and exhaust system build-up and they cost about $65 each.
there is nothing like a plasma cutter to trim the bits and pieces.

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 am

There was a slight delay because the motor had to be torn apart and cleaned. It failed to start because of more than 6 decades of dirt build-up.
Just like so many others report, "It was running when it was taken out of service". A few hours of TLC and all is well.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 am

And it works. The final drive flat belt should be here on Tuesday. This drill press will replace the one that I have been using for 30 years. This CGE motor is a one horsepower unit that draws 6.8 amps on 220 volts. It weighs over 70 pounds. The motor is from a time when things were built to last and could be repaired, if the parts could be found. The saddest part is this, the motor was designed to last for ever because it is totally rebuildable, but the parts support system failed. Now that this motor will see limited service I expect it will last another 70 years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.
My son powered up the drill press, today, and all went well for about 2.8 seconds. There was an electric explosion complete with flames and then the smoke escaping from the motor. Molten copper beads danced on the floor and then there was silence. There is a melted hole in the windings almost the size of a dime. The motor had an aneurism. There isn't a repair, it is obsolete. The motor outlasted the support system.
I've checked Craigslist this evening and there was nothing. I'm going shopping for a new motor tomorrow.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:08 am

Sorry to hear about your setback. I like to see the old stuff running, too.
Around here there are multiple electric motor rewind shops, but rule of thumb is that it's cheaper to buy a new motor than rewind if it's smaller than about 7 horsepower.
I have disassembled and cleaned motors, then used something like this on the exposed windings-
http://www.sprayon.com/products/red_insulating_varnish
The thought was that it would penetrate and reseal any cracks in the old varnish. Did it help? I don't know. I haven't had any short circuits in windings. But I don't know that I would have had arcing if I hadn't used it. It doesn't do anything for the wires inside the laminations. It does make the motor look pretty on the inside.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 am

I'm going to check out a few tool exchange shops before buying a new motor. The motor rewind shops might be another place to have a look on the off chance that..........
Buying North America built is important and the challenge might be finding and affording the motor.
The original plan was to stay with old components as much as possible and old almost guaranteed made in NA. I'm thinking it might be an insult to those who built our countries and this drill press to use offshore power. The best of the worst case scenario is, it will be out of sight and against the wall.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Brian, Have you tried any of the forums for old machinery? I did a search back when you started to see what one looked like and found that mfr. seems to have quite a following. I didn't find a pic of a DP like this one though.

https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=WF+AND+ ... rill+press

I sure know how hard it can be to find a new motor made here. I replaced the condenser motor on an AC unit a couple of months ago. An OEM was way to pricey $200++ and I had a heck of a time finding aftermarket PN's. I found a few but most were "imports",even Dayton are made in China now. :x
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks, Scottso.
Rather than wonder around some random shops, I went straight to the biggest rebuilder motor shop in this area. It was my lucky day and I had a new MARATHON one horse fan cooled motor before coffee break. At $150, I thought it was a screamin' deal. The new motor is installed and ready to go after a little wiring. Here is the best part and it is as good as it is going to get. MADE IN USA and assembled in Mexico. Last time I checked, Mexico was still in North America and a free trade partner with CANADA. It was a good day, the smoke has cleared from the shop and the final drive flat belt has arrived.
I know where there is a really good deal on a really old and heavy CGE electric motor. It was running when it was taken out of service, some time ago. (just kidding)
Just for no good reason other than general interest, this same motor shop had just finished refurbishing a ships generator. It was as big as a two bedroom bungalow and weighs in at 45,000 pounds. There was good selection of motors being repaired and I was told that the biggest one in the shop today was over 500 horsepower. Everything was big, like the giant dishwasher that could swallow an L110, a bigger than life paint booth with overhead crane service and the floor and everything was so clean that it looked like one could eat off of it.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion