Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

I've only eaten it once, when camping with people who had made a tradition of cooking it for breakfast, as b4 said, with eggs and potatoes. I remember it as being salty.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:When I was a young kid, my mother used to serve SPAM now and then. We grew up knowing this was poor peoples food. Social welfare used to hand it out to those who had fallen on hard times.
So I am watching one of my You Tube subscriptions and I saw this. https://youtu.be/rSp3qgrLMDc
I did not rush our to buy some Spam, but I am a little curious. My question is, has anyone else eaten this mystery meat?
https://www.spam.com/

Absolutely love Spam and all it's "wannabe" competition. One of my favourites for sandwiches out in the field. Plenty of salt and fat. I have not tried that guy's recipe but I like his cooking style.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:30 pm

I often see it in the supermarket, however I've not eaten it since i was a kid....tried it once, thought it was disgusting. I love the accent of the guy in the video, England,Newcastle or better known as a Geordie. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Locals in the Hawaiian Islands love spam. introduced by GI's during WWII it became a staple. They use it in a lot of their recipes.

When I was in my 20's and went away to trade school I could barely make the rent and buy groceries too. I lived on a lot of spam, macaroni and cheese and raman noodles. To this day if I see a can of spam I have to avert my eyes. :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 pm

My favorite b'fast is the McD's sausage and egg mcmuffin. My wife makes something similar at home. She uses German Shinkenspek. The 'spec goes into a Corning Grabit with an egg on the 'spec. 1 minute in the microwave and the egg is done. Add a slice of cheese, put it on a bagel and my b'fast is ready in 2 minutes.
We buy slab of schinkenspec at the German deli and slice it at home. I bought a power slicer on Craigslist. This is under 300 calories.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I am old enough to have been around for the Television show called WHAT'S MY LINE. The show consisted of a panel of four famous persons guessing who is or what the guest did. This show survived 17 years. It was moderated by John Charles Daly and with regular panelists Dorothy Kilgallen, Arlene Francis, and Bennett Cerf.
Every bodies and my favorite was Dorothy Kilgallen. Miss Kilgallen was four years older than my Dad. Dorothy Kilgallen got into investigating one of the high profile events of the 1960s. Her detailed questioning and notes for an up-coming book on the event may have lead to her demise. A favorite author, of mine, Mark Shaw, In The Reporter Who Knew Too Much, takes on the role of investigative reporter, providing us with the little known facts in the story of Dorothy Kilgallen, and the circumstances surrounding her death in 1965.
Mark Shaw went on to author another book called, Denial of Justice
The only things I like better than tools are good books. I have ordered these books and I look forward to reading my copies.
You Tube has lots of information on Dorothy Kilgallen her wonderful and enchanted life and her untimely demise.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Just saw a post on Facebook that Manfred Range passed away last week. He hasn't been on here much lately so some of the newer members might not know him, but he sure was a sweet, funny and encouraging guy. The world is a smaller and sadder place now. We always swore we'd get together sometime but never found the time. Guess I will have to wait until see him on the other side now.

RIP Manny.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 am

Something I would like to know, has anyone from here used his logon? It shows he was logged on at 9:09pm Today. Believe it may have been his Wife or Son.
If you are a member of this Facebook page: International Harvester Pickup Trucks
His Wife left a message there.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:08 am

Sorry to hear of his passing, I remember his post well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 am

Sorry to hear the news. He used to contribute often.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion