Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

I'd like to see Steve Earle, and I like the Dead, but never seen either in a live show. It would have to be a 100 seat venue for me to go to a show today.
Sad part for me was one of the friends I took to that show was killed a month later, it was the last thing we did together.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:52 pm

b4autodark wrote:Binder Mike, thanks for reminding me about Steve Earle, I saw him at the Minnesota Zoo in 2011, he was opening act for John Hiatt, he was great.I also forgot about Joe Ely and Jimmy Vaughn and the amazing Thunderbirds.

No shame in being a Dead Head as far as I'm concerned. All genres have their great ones.

It must have been a treat to talk to Arlo and his offspring!

I am a big fan of Hiatt's music. I own most of his CD's and would jump at a chance to see him but so far it hasn't happened.

Talking with Arlo is like talking to your next door neighbor he puts you at ease right away and is a salt of the earth kind of guy and his kids too. We talked about motorcycles, the old days, and of course music. Two years ago I was with a buddy and we ran into Graham Nash at the Lensic Theater in Santa Fe and he was the total opposite of Guthrie, kind of arrogant and stuck on himself. A long story but we got the last laugh later on.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Quite some time ago, my son and I were having supper at Hamburger Heaven, in New Westminster, BC. http://www.burgerheaven.ca/
There were four ladies at the next table. The one greeted us and made light conversation suggesting Daddy and son's night out. She was nice to look at and kind. I suggested that she looked like Bette Midler. She said that many people have told her she looks like Bette. Her friends chuckled then she confessed to being, The Divine Miss "M". https://youtu.be/cGh6ZgPZFhs
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:19 pm

[I am a big fan of Hiatt's music. I own most of his CD's and would jump at a chance to see him but so far it hasn't happened.]

He's playing in Katonah New York tomorrow night, Hurry!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:25 pm

I have not missed the union Xmas get-together in decades. I got up this morning with the best of intentions to be there. After giving it a little thought, I decided to not go, this year. The morning is set for the retired guys. Every year the ranks get thinner. I stayed home and had a nice cup of coffee and thought about the good old times. I remembered the times we - - - - - - - RIP.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Yesterday, I was reminded about the MAC Tools guy who frequented my workplace. He was truly a gentleman. Suddenly and without warning, he got very sick and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He and I had become good friends and when his wife called to say her husband had died, it hit me very hard.
After the celebration of life, the wife asked if I might be able to collect the outstanding debts from our shop. I agreed and one of the other mechanics offered to help. The collection went really well, mostly. There were few jerks who said "F" it, "he is dead and I aint paying." The other mechanic and I managed to get all but a few hundred of the multiple thousand dollar debt collected. We divided the outstanding balance between the two of us and forwarded a cheque and invoice to the widow for the full amount.
These jerks are the loudest, proudest and always show up for the free beer at any union event. I have to admit this played a small part in my not going to the Union Xmas event yesterday.
Good news travels fast and lasts. It has been 15 years since I retired. I have called both SnapOn and MAC for tools and/or repair service as late a few months ago. I have offered to meet them in their route. These guys always show up at my shop, just because. I get the best trinkets and freebees.
Just be responsible.
Attachments
MAC TOOLS THEROPY.jpg
Therapy, home service.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:10 pm

I had coffee with a friend I worked with. We said our good byes and as a parting shot, he poked me in the stomach and suggested that I lose some weight so I don't have a heart attack. A few hours later he died of a fatal heart attack. Unlike me, he was fit and in good shape.
The point being, for most of us, we never know when it is our turn.
I like the surprise ending. I would not like to have a slow and annoying glide to my end.
My friend and I agreed, decades ago, to not attend the other's funeral. So, my wife is making cinnamon rolls today. This was my friend's favorite treat. I might have the one cinnamon roll we would save for him.
I am thankful for the good times we had. That is it!
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.
Marcus Aurelius

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:20 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I had coffee with a friend I worked with. We said our good byes and as a parting shot, he poked me in the stomach and suggested that I lose some weight so I don't have a heart attack. A few hours later he died of a fatal heart attack. Unlike me, he was fit and in good shape.
The point being, for most of us, we never know when it is our turn.
I like the surprise ending. I would not like to have a slow and annoying glide to my end.
My friend and I agreed, decades ago, to not attend the other's funeral. So, my wife is making cinnamon rolls today. This was my friend's favorite treat. I might have the one cinnamon roll we would save for him.
I am thankful for the good times we had. That is it!
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.
Marcus Aurelius

Sorry for the loss of your friend. These days everyday that I am healthy and still able to do the things I want feels like a gift. I have friends that are less fortunate health wise. My wife just lost her older sister last week after 12 years of declining health. As people around me pass away I feel my own mortality more and more and try to make each day count.
56 S120 4x4,

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:13 pm

I will live as long as I live, and Die when I Die. I enjoy life, I listen to the YOUNG Dr. and take into account that I have lived twice his age. I agree with Nikki, I do not wish a long decline.
Sorry to hear of his passing, Eat a cinnamon roll for me also. I know your wife makes Good food!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am

My wifes uncle lived into his 80's was a former gymnast and would do a handstand every year on his birthday. One night he went to bed and didn't wake up the next morning, he died peacefully in his sleep. I'd wish that for everyone but the truth of the matter is that is a rare occurrence.

I hope to be shot by a young beautiful woman's jealous husband when I'm well into my 90's. :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion