Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:52 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

A lot of folks can't understand how we came to have an oil shortage here in Canada .
Well, there's a very simple answer, Nobody bothered to check the oil.
We just didn't know we were getting low. The reason for this is purely geographical.
Our Oil is located in:
ALBERTA , SASKATCHEWAN, BRITISH COLUMBIA, MANITOBA, COASTAL NEW BRUNSWICK,
COASTAL NEWFOUNDLAND
Our DIPSTICKS are located in OTTAWA :whistling2:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36 pm

And ours are in D.C.
I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor.
I enjoy your posts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:12 pm

Yesterday, I struggled to get out of the house and into my truck. My son drove me to a hospital for a scheduled MRI. The twenty two minutes in the MRI may be close to torture. The noise could have been deafening, but I was given a pair of foam ear plugs.
The time in the tube felt like it passed slowly. The harsh vibrations changed frequency several times. My elbow touched the inside of the MRI tube and instantly I felt sparks jumping to my mustache. I could smell burned hair. I noticed the sheet I was laying on get very warm. 207540
Two doctors requested the MRI. I had very little warning this was happening. I do not know if there was another situation they were focused on other than a decade old spine injury. I was tole my family Doctor will discuss the report with me in the next week.
While my day to day life is okay, I am an old guy, now and I do not expect my remaining time to be, as they say, " Sunshine and Roses."
I get around at a reduced mobility rate. I have learned to appreciate what I have left and I will not risk compromising what I have with some risky surgery. I have a few health issues that put me into the high risk group. My space has been adjusted to help accommodate me.
There are a few videos on You Tube that explain how an MRI works.
I remain ever hopeful that I will get better as the weather improves. I could be out in the shop focusing my attention on unfinished projects in a month, or so.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:16 am

I've been in the 'tube for over an hr, you got off easy. I guess being an old trucker helps. It is not much smaller than the sleeper in the little cab over (but with less headroom) and I shared that with my dog. I guess it comes with being above ground at this age, I have had a few MRI's and a bone scan with radioactive dye, and go for my 1st surgery in March.
My cabover's and trailer left last summer, I hope the Marmon and last Fleetstar will go this year. The problem child is the Dart, I want it to go to someone who will not drag it to the scrapper. too rare for that.
The K's will stay for the time being. I have another cab for the one in bad shape and the one with the "wench on back" (never could find her) is too useful to not have about the place.
I had a guy who wants my 855 Cummins cores but hasn't made up here yet. I hope he does before I get cut.
It is time these big projects leave, and I'll stick to the smaller ones, the K's and my Saab 900

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:26 pm

Lucky you. A WENCH is a girl or young woman prostitute. I am having trouble imagining you, the dog and the wench in a sleeper.
Our outside temperature is at 12C and the sun is bright. There are a few clouds over the Georgia Straight.
I just finished b'fast. I did not get up until 11:00h.I had two Jamaican veggie patties with some Sherwood's Mango Chutney on the side.
The dog is outside and probably fouling the footpath to the garage.
Some years ago, I bought a Craigslist small shop crane for $100. It was half the size of my other shop crane (cherry picker) Someone made an offer to buy the small crane and I had to sell it.
Speaking of "wenches". My neighbour has a basement suite in his home. A forty something was renting the suite. She used to walk down the lane for a visit. She wore a light house-coat to make the walk. It was her habit to be naked under the housecoat. She would often be in the shop in her "birthday suit. We need more care-free persons, like this.
Attachments
GARAGE DOOR OPENER.jpg
Garage door opener
cherry picker almost finished 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:53 pm

I don't know how many ads I have seen for a "truck with a wench on the back"! I always smile at the thought.
How are things up your way? I heard from my highschool friend in a Christmas card, and she didn't mention how the flooding ended? She said she is keeping her New Westminster digs but moving back to Boston area to work on off shore wind farms. It sounds like she plans to retire in your area.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:18 pm

You are better off Googling British Columbia flooding than having me try to explain. You may like to check out the flood damage to The Highway Through Hell. Highway 5 or the Coquahalla as is is also known was totally washed out in a few places. Highway one through the Frazer Canyon was washed away and the only other route out was Highway 3 through Princeton until it shut down from slides. Highway 7 was shut after a big slide covered the road and washed a few cars away. Highway 7 was not going to take a person out of the area, because 7 connects to Highway 5, Highway 1 and Highway 3. They were closed.
We experienced some food shortages and heavy price increases at our local grocery store. Alberta Beef was in short supply and expensive after sir freight charges.
I have not been outside in many months, possibly close to two years. I was absolutely astonished at the increase in traffic. Traffic has been close to gridlock for decades, but this ???
The increase in traffic is closely related to the increase in population in this area. Lots of big off-shore money has bumped real-estate pricing way up, again. The real-estate news likes to report increases of 13% in this area, when the truth is closer to 50% increase here. We bought our home in 1978 for $68,000. Last week we were offered $2,500,000.
Sell and move is something I hear all to often. Move to where? The prices have gone up "there" also. I like it here. We are close to everything we like and use. Medical service, that I need more often now, is as close as a phone call and the response time a few minutes.
A fortnight ago, I lost my nicest neighbour. He died after a long suffering time with the worst getting old can offer. I used to maintain his tools for him. He was a wealthy plumber. When he retired from being a plumber, he gave me all of his tools, because as he said, "You know the tools as well as I do". He was 90. He was 13 when I was born. We had been friends for almost 50 years.
The outside temperature is finally double digit. It is 11c. I might go outside.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:28 pm

[quote="cornbinder89"]I don't know how many ads I have seen for a "truck with a wench on the back"! I always smile at the thought.

Something I read all to often on one of my favorite forums is, "How do I insult my garage?" Or, "What is the best "installation" to use? Another guy was asking for help because as he said, "I am way in over my head." He must have a high ceiling. What kind if insulation should I plan for, down the road?" is another question. Down the road? Stay home where the problem is. We started to insult the garage and we really "went to town on it". Went to town? Which town? I have to guess, if they had a wench, the thought of "going to town" may not have been a first option.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:21 pm

I have insulted my garage many times, mostly because it is drafty and didn't keep the weather at bay. Last summer I did some work and it is better now, still drafty but more weather tight, I have stopped insulting it tho.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:01 pm

I have tried to insult my garage many times, but it just ignores me. It still won't find room for my 1936 C40. It's a standard 2 car garage, and won't stretch itself to fit my nearly 24 foot truck. As a result, my poor old C40 has to stay outside. It doesn't even have a wench to keep it company...
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion