Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm

CUMMINS MODEL F

This is really not IHC discussion, but it fits into the description rather well. It has been my experience with OLD IHC owners and collectors that they come from a wide cross section of society and experiences.
I need some help with finding a 1920 something Cummins Model F Diesel engine. These engines came in both single and twin cylinder vertical models. I have been actively looking for several decades. Many of these engines went onto marine service as gen-sets on larger fishing boats.
Here, on the West Coast, the banks of the North and South Arms of the Fraser River, Burrard Inlet and Stevestom were populated by many boat yards, both big and small. They serviced the many wooden fishing boats that they had probably built in the previous many decades. Only a few of the original hundreds remain. They were the victim of rising real-estate prices and changing fish stocks. The newer style boat yards with their heavy duty boat lifts take the boats out of the water and support them on dry land in large boat yards where they can be serviced. by a bunch of drive-in trades and the central machine shop. I often drive by just for a look and is has become a rarity to see a wooden boat. The newest boats are aluminium.
One historic shop, in particular stands out in my memory, It was on the north bank of the South Arm of the Fraser River just west of Queensboro and east of Shelter Cove. It was one of those old and sturdy wood structures that was built on more than a hundred treated wood pilings. The shop was slightly dark and most of the old machines were driven off sets of overhead gang shafts, wood pulleys and flat belts. The tradesmen that made magic, had wrinkled brows, steely eyes and hands as rough as 80 grit sandpaper. The firm handshake was their guarantee. The main source of power was a Cummins Model F twin cylinder Diesel with a MADE IN USA GE GEN-SET on one end. While it had been mostly retired as the main source of power, it sat there, fully serviced and beautifully maintained ready to step up when the "new-fangled-hydro" flickered and faded to dark. The office was small and hundreds of old blue-prints hung from sagging shelves and racks. The centre of the office was occupied by a large Hamilton drafting table and a mechanical drafting arm and a grizzled foreman who could do a day's work with the best of them. Another wall had shelves filled with work shop manuals for marine drives and engines like BUDA, CUMMINS and EASTHOPE.
All of those years ago, I worked the night shift and was Mr. Mom in the daytime. My daughter and I would drive around to some of these shops and visit, from time to time. The R120 was the calling card and often the ticket that allowed us to enter the shops. The hardened trades men became soft hearted when my daughter showed interest in what they were doing. All these years later, my daughter has completed her apprenticeship as a Canadian Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic. I have to believe that the time that we spent in some of these shops may have had a positive effect on her career choice. I like girls who work in non-traditional occupations. How much better is it that she can earn $37.85 plus benefits versus some office job where the paltry sum of $12.50 guarantees her a future of being just above the poverty line.
So if you see one of these engines, I would be very happy to hear from you. Have engine, I will travel. BTW, there are a few videos of the Cummins Model F on YOUTUBE.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....