I REALLY TRIED TO BE RESPONSIBLE

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: I REALLY TRIED TO BE RESPONSIBLE

Starting yesterday, I was looking for some of those POWER POINT receptacles that used to be called cigarette lighters. Well, I do not smoke, and have not for over 33 years, but I/we all have GPS, tablets and BlackBerry, here. The older vehicles that I/we rebuild have to be brought into the modern times and often as not, the original lighter ports are badly corroded and not suitable for continued use. I do not want to have a lighter in the socket so someone might be tempted to "push 'er in and see what she does", then drop the red hot lighter onto the carpet. After some hours of on-line searching, I did find a company in California who says that they are all USA. That is good enough for me, so I ordered 10 units complete with the rubber-like cover that snaps over the opening. The ten units, including shipping was about $50. This competes very well, and betters the price with many of those similar units on EBAY that show made in the Orient.
On the off-chance that these power ports are made off shore, I have done my due diligence and there is little else I can do from here. I did try to buy a power port from the local dealer of American made Motorcycles, only to discover that their power port was made in the Orient and retailed for $27.50 each. Do the math, I saved $225 and kept one of our fellow countrymen working.
I saw this thoughtful sign on the wall of the insurance broker that we go to. it reads:
When you buy from a Mom and Pop business, you are not helping a CEO buy a Bentley or a vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons or a little boy get his team jersey. You help working parents feed their family, pay a mortgage or a student pay for post secondary schooling.
Our customers are our share-holders, and they are the ones that we strive to make happy. Thank You for supporting our small business.
I am very pleased to be a small part of the support of small business.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

I am pleased to be able to report that my son and I have been able to do a total rebuild on our Hein Warner O'Boy, one and a quarter ton jack. The rebuild included shortening the handle 18" and replacing the valve control shaft in the handle with a much stiffer 3/8" round bar stock. The original was 1/4" square rod that has too much wind-up and recoil making smooth valve release difficult. The ends of the 3/8" rod were turned down to 1/4", threaded to 28 tpi then we milled each end for a 1/4" square drive to fit the control knob and bottom bevel gear . Don's Hydraulic Service in Abbotsford sells the complete hydraulic seal kits for many of the original North American jacks. He also has a good selection of beautifully restored jacks that are for sale at what I thought were very reasonable prices.
My son glass beaded all of the jack parts then painted them in the original orange with the exception of the wheels, they are now black. I have removed and saved the original embossed metal name tag and it will be put back, today. My friend has donated a set of 1960'S Harley Davidson decals for the frame sides. I might post a picture, later. BTW, all of the tools used to restore this jack were MADE IN CANADA or USA.
I've had this jack since new and I just couldn't throw it in the recycle bin as scrap. I was going to retire it to a corner behind the air compressor. Now it is good for another 50 years. MADE IN USA. Rebuilt in Canada.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Great Job. Glad you were able to find the parts to rebuild it and the fact the parts are from Canada makes it even better :yay:
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion