Half a glass of Scotch later...

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Half a glass of Scotch later...

With kids you only wish... With dogs you really have to make the decision.
We've had some issues with one of our dogs, she wouldn't eat properly and was in pain from time to time. I went by the vet yesterday and today I got the final verdict. She's got a tumor in her throat and it has spread . So, tomorrow it's time to put an end to it and terminate her sufferings. I just hate to do this, but it has to be done. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
So guys (and gals) raise your glasses at 11 AM tomorrow (local time, GMT+1) for the departure of a good friend and very special old lady.
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Re: Half a glass of Scotch later...

My condolences go out to you pwa, never a pleasant or easy thing to do, especially when they become a such an important part of your family. Let us celebrate her life, not her suffering . I hope a cold beer will do. . .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 pm

The most loveing thing you can do is end suffering. I always stay with mine and hold them till its over. I never leave with a dry face. Celabrate the good times spent together and allow yourself to grieve, They are family!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:06 pm

still brings tears to my eyes when I think of mine that I had to end her suffering a year and half ago. Like losing a member of the family, because they are.
glass will be raised.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks guys. It's done now and all went pretty smoothly. She's now buried beside the rest of the pack that has passed before her,with some nice bones and a flashlight to light up the way for her. Time to have a beer or two, then back to reality. Thanks again for y'alls thoughts.

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 am

My condolences on your loss. We've always had cats, but they are family no matter how you look at it. Letting go is tough. There's a bright side to this. Now you get to follow around a new puppy and let him break you in to his life. I sometimes wonder if animals are trained by us or if we're trained by them.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Anybody that has ever owned a dog know they train us.

sorry to hear about your friend. we have all had to endure what you are now. Good luck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Well, it looks like it is our turn to suffer the loss of a much cherished pet. Daisy has allowed us to be her family for just over 13 years and the ride had been absolutely fantastic. If there ever is a perfect dog, for us, she is it. It is difficult to see Daisy lose her zest for life and stop rushing for the door when one of us come home. A good dog like this raises one's spirits when one of us has had a bad day. This dog brightened my days when I went through the dark days of cancer treatment. Daisy was my daughter's constant companion while she recovered from a life changing assault while she was at her workplace. I know the dog gave her the strength to stay with us when she felt really low and out of options.
She still goes to the patio door when she hears a Harley, albeit slowly. My friends rode HD and there are fewer Harleys now because old age has taken most of the guys away from us. There was the time that Daisy was taking care of business under her tail. I remarked that I wish I could bend over and do that. My friend responded with one word, "Ask."
I am going to miss her and the gifts of dog toys that she always brought as a welcome home. I am going to miss slipping the dog a piece of turkey at Christmas and I might even miss the room clearing gas she got from these treats. I am going to miss using Daisy as the excuse to stay home and not go on a cruise.
The Vet said she is nearing the end of her life and comfortable. We are going to do what is right for the dog, when the time comes. When this dog dies, I know that a part of me will die with her.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:13 pm

I know your pain as I have lost pets. 1st Jesse and now Rory keep me sane while on the road. One never replaces the previous pet, just adds to the family. The old one is never gone from our hearts and the new make their own space in it.
Since I do not, nor never will have children, the animals in my life have a lot of room in my heart. We are now caring for 11, we didn't ask for this many, but they found their to our lives, and I will not turn away and animal in need.
There are many older dogs and cats that need good homes. If you don't want the long commitment of a young animal, an older one can still give you much in return for love and food.
We spay/neuter every animal that we take in, but the need is limitless and the number of cruel people who will dump an un wanted (esp pregnant) animals out in the country never seams to diminish. The cost is significant but the rewards are too.
Give yourself time to grieve for the lost pet, and when you are ready, open you heart to another.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 am

poor ol poochie, you did right by her,

when we took our old black lab in to the vet, we were worried it was too soon,

the vet told us most people wait too long out of love for the pet. Our not wanting to let go does them little favor if they are suffering.

all our pets our rescues, we got the lab she was 11yrs. old already, old pets need home too.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion