Sweaty garage floor!!

Just keep it clean please....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Sweaty garage floor!!

Does anyone have the same problem as I do? My concrete floor in my garage sweats terribly, raising the humidity and encouraging rust on my K2. I have a fan to help circulate air, but with a sweaty concrete floor, I don't know what else to do? Does anyone have any ideas? Carpet maybe? Rubber mat? Concrete sealer? Help, before my truck :t0117: turns to dust?
" Seemed like a good idea at the time "

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Re: Sweaty garage floor!!

You have a drainage problem. Is your garage in a lower area of your lot?
Carpet is a terrible idea. Carpet will get wet quickly and hold the moisture. Circulating the air is of no value, unless you are venting the air to the outside and having a replacement air vent.
Steve Summers, on You Tube has a high moisture situation. He has a dehumidifier set up. He reports removing several gallons of water from the shop air. I am under the impression he had plumbed a drain to the outside for the dehumidifier.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrGHS ... 8aVejwPBvA
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:18 am

1st order of business is to find the source of the moisture. If it is coming up from below (ground saturated) the solution will be different than if it is because the air is damp and the concrete is cool.
If it is coming in from saturated ground, you need to install drainage to get the water away.
If you live in a high dew point area and the moisture is coming from the air, than a dehumidifier will remove the water from the air.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am

1. direct water away from building as much as possible rather than letting it sink into ground beside the building. fix your eavetroughs and downpipes
2. if concrete is always damp, you have water in soil under the concrete floor. install a sump and sump pump, it will take a month or two to dry it out but it really works, and it will keep it dry

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:00 am

You're not alone, that happens as the moisture in the air condenses on the relatively cooler concrete floor. I have a dehumidifier running 24/7, 365 days a year to keep the relative humidity around 50%. Works overtime in the summer, and in the winter, not as much unless I wash my vehicles inside the shop. Before I did this, my tools would begin to rust just hanging on the toolboards. Not a problem now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Right Guard

sweats terribly

Reminds me of a co-woker years ago

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:15 pm

Quick protection for your truck is to put a layer of foam insulation on the floor the size needed for the truck to park on, then put a layer of plywood on top of the foam to protect it. park the truck on top of it. That will keep the moisture from the wet concrete off the underside of the truck.
The reason the concrete is sweating is there is no moisture barrier under the concrete. I always have layer of 6 mil or thicker plastic placed under all of my shop floors before they pour the concrete to prevent sweating. I just did this on my new 40 x 60 shop and it was in my old place too. Floor stays dry.
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 28, 2023 6:56 pm

Re: Right Guard

Harvey wrote:
sweats terribly

Reminds me of a co-woker years ago

Now that is funny.
Attachments
DEODORANT.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have