Huck-bolts.

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Huck-bolts.

I had the "joy" of removing 22 of these bastards the other day. For those who don't know what they are, they look like a bolt but the ridges are circular rather than a thread and there aren't nuts, but a swaged on collar.
There claim to fame, such as it is, that the hold better than bolts (so do rivets) and are fast to install. Rivets have the advantage in that they are not stretched like bolts or Huck bolts, but compressed. This allows rivets fill voids while holding two pieces in both shear and tension loads. You'll never see a Huck bolt making a boiler, like you will a rivet.
Huck's are more of a pain to remove than a rivet or bolt and nut. Since a rivet is all one piece, you can cut the head off with either a torch or an abrasive wheel , or drilling the rivet on center.
Huck's on the other hand, a cut off wheel or torch is required. the collar is not swaged tight all the way up, so there is a little space between the collar and the pin which can allow rust between the two right where the torch needs to cut. This means that it needs two cutting operations to cut it free, 1st cut the collar then cut the pin. the rust prevents the flame from cutting both at once.
I have at least another 22 to go on my frame job. Needless to say I am going back with bolt and nuts. If I had a rivet squeezer big enough to upset a 5/8" rivet, may be I would use rivets going back.
Attachments
Huck bolt.jpg
what a Huck bolt looks like
Huck bolt.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Re: Huck-bolts.

I have never had to deal with a Huck-Bolt. I do not like the look of them. I have removed dozens of rivets and replaced them with grade 8 bolts. I like to drill one size under and ream to size. I never let the threads be inside the frame and fixture. I like to shim to length, with grade 8 washers maximum of one per side. I prefer rolled threads to cut threads. All threads can be a stress riser. A ragged poorly cut thread from a dull thread die, is much worse. 6
The Reese hitch gives the OEM L110 frame much needed rigidity. Thank you WEW.
Attachments
REESE LEFT SIDE 2.jpg
Grade 8
REESE LEFT OUTSIDE VIEW.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Re: Huck-bolts.

In order of preference, not taking in to account the special tooling needed, I would say solid rivet, Huck bolt and bolt and nut in that order.
It is hard to make a weld joint as strong as a riveted joint.
If it is something that has to be taken apart, then bolt and nut, followed by rivet and last Huck bolt.
There is a reason heavy truck ring-gears are riveted on from the factory, Bolt and nut is used when the ring gear needs to be replaced and a heavy rivet press is not available.
I can understand from a MFG point of view, why the truck mfg have all gone with Huck's.

Return to Non-IH discussion