Never to forget..

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Never to forget..

In solemn remembrance

“A Date Which Will Live in Infamy”: FDR Asks for a Declaration of War

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on December 7, 1941, stunned virtually everyone in the United States military. Japan’s carrier-launched bombers found Pearl Harbor totally unprepared. President Franklin Roosevelt quickly addressed Congress to ask for a declaration of war .-

RIP

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Never to forget..

In solemn remembrance 12/7/41
From my aunt Barbara in Idaho
I wondered if anyone remembered besides me. It was my Aunt Nellie’s birthday. We were having a party when someone turned on the news. We knew her husband, Uncle Dell would have to go. They had three children but he was still one of the first called. He had close calls and some injuries but was never the same again. My dad and I listened to the news together every night. We loved General Patton.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:09 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Some more from My Aunt:

Uncle Dell served in Europe. He was at the Battle of the Bulge. My brother in law to be joined at 17. He served on a PT Boat in the Pacific. He and my sister were childhood sweethearts from the first grade. Dad was a farmer so he was not called to serve. I was 9 when the war started. It seemed that all of the young men and some not so young in our little town of Iona and surrounding area went to war. Sugar and many other food items were rationed. At school we bought Saving Stamps to help the war effort. Eventually, if we were able to buy enough, we traded them in for War Bonds. Most women and children worked as farm labor. There were very few men left around that were physically able.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:58 pm

There were very few men left around that were physically able.

Take a minute if only you can spare it, to reflect before you post anything disparaging
about those who serve now or had served or lived during those hard times.

Peace ...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:05 am

My father fought in the South Pacific until he was badly wounded and sent stateside. He was a tough man who bore the physical and emotional scars of that war. He was and always will be a hero in my eyes. He's been gone 11 years now but thought of often by me especially on December 7th.
56 S120 4x4,

Return to Non-IH discussion