Espar/Webasto heaters

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Espar/Webasto heaters

I'm getting heavy into these diesel fired heaters. I now have five coolant heaters and one air heater. I buy used units off E bay and repair. They aren't difficult to repair but parts prices are what you would expect from a German made product ($$$).
On a coolant heater the most common problem is the combustion blower motor. Sometimes I can get more life out of one, by peeling back the seal on the one bearing I can get to and adding a little light oil.
I have 3 units installed in trucks, and keep a back-up ready to go, so I can do a quick change out and repair at my leisure. I bought one for parts, but it turned out to be repairable, so I should have two on the shelf.
I am presently building a test-bench for both the coolant and air heater. I have already made a coolant reservoir out of a 40 cat litter tub, this allows me to run them long enough to check out all functions.
To build the test bench I need a timer (they also read the trouble codes, right now I have to pull a timer out of one of the trucks) and a bunch of plugs and wires to operate, some sort of structure to hold everything in place (right now I am holding in my hand, and they get "HOT), and some bracketry to hold the timer in place.
The wiring is simple enough, but very costly to buy from Espar. Some plugs and receptacles are proprietary, or at least seam to be, haven't found the MFG yet, but most are TE brand and are available from Mouser. A graduated flask to test fuel pump output and a small fuel tank.
Wire with the correct color and tracer can be had from Sherco-auto.com in small or large amounts.
If I get tired of trucking, may be I'll turn this in to a side business, for right now I am only doing my own.
Right now I am only doing Espar brands, but have a Webasto timer and code reader. Webasto isn't as popular here, and I don't have a mail-order parts connection like I do for Espar.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Re: Espar/Webasto heaters

The company I worked for used Webasto coolant heaters. They start up with a cloud of smoke. The Webasto is not allowed to be tested in the shop. Webasto have had their tech guys by but they were unable to clean up the exhaust.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:20 pm

We had the early versions in the British buses, they were more electro-mechanical, the newer ones are all electronic board with sensors. The glow plug has to get hot enough for them to light -off, so it isn't instant light off and will put out a little smoke, but shouldn't clear the shop with smoke. Mine will blow some blue-gray (un burned fuel) when the combustion blower is on its way out, but hasn't yet "thrown a code". Size matters, all mine are small and I imagine a large motor coach size will throw more smoke.
To me, if I had a diesel powered vehicle, I'd have one. Not being restricted to how far the extension cord will reach, or forgetting to plug it in, is worth the cost over the long haul.
My guess is the smaller units are less likely to "coke up" and make smoke, either they burn clean or throw a code.
Also the newest heaters are coming out with an "H kit" that de rates the fuel at altitude. The older heaters don't have that feature but can be re-calibrated for higher altitudes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Did a little digging on the one connector I was having trouble locating. It has in small molded in letters VW Germany, so I guess it my be a proprietary design Espar is lic from them. Still that connector rarely is the problem and is avaiable on the net.

Return to Non-IH discussion