disappearing mail boxes?

Just keep it clean please....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:04 pm

Re: disappearing mail boxes?

How about eliminating the "junk" mail that is sent Daily? When I am in Arizona, the amount of mail my son forwards to me for a two week period will fill a medium flat rate box, IF he sends all the junk mail. It can fit inside of a Large flat rate envelope, maybe even a larger regular envelope without all the "junk" mail. I do NOT get my bills electronically and rarely pay them electronically. I do not expect the USPS to compete with the private services in price, and I expect that it will always need subsidized to keep it "in the game".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Lloyd, I am much older than you and I have been getting my bills electronically for a decade. This is choice a person makes, not happenstance. If you are having what you describe as "junk mail" forwarded to your second address, you are part of the problem. There is a one time cost to the sender of the junk mail which includes the forward.
Subsidizing the postal service is ultimately an end user cost. The funding comes out of paid taxes or adds to the debt which will ultimately becomes a cost to the taxpayer.
I get a few thing shipped to Canada from the USA. The package often starts off as USPS then gets transferred to CPS (Canada Postal Service). This is the most cost effective way to ship and often the fastest.
We need to protect our postal services. The USPS and the CPS and the Royal Mail of GB are the best in the world. Lets leave it this way.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:08 pm

The wife and I re-watched Kevin Costner's movie ''The Postman" this past Sunday evening. It takes place in a post apocalyptic future United States where all remnants of national and regional government are gone and the small remaining groups of people are huddled together in small fortified towns oppressed by a warlord. What starts out as a con by Costner's character turns into the re establishment of the postal system and later the nation. A bit long but well worth viewing I walked away impressed with the original books authors recognizing what a keystone to a nation and society in general a good postal system is. The irony of the despotic warlord in the film trying to destroy the re emerging post office did not escape me as I reflected on our current situation.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:04 am

hattrick4467 wrote:More mail moving creates more income I believe...Also USPS in many cases is half the proce of UPS or FedEx. Does not need to be that way. I am sure there are a lot of ways to make the operation more efficient but if they are never forced to do so then it will never happen.

I fail to see how delaying the mail or removing machines that can sort mail by the millions/hr and need two employees to operate make the USPS more efficient?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:05 am

From outside the United States, the mailbox situation looks like a move to change the mail in voting to give an advantage to the Republicans.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am

To many inside as well. I brought it up to point out that mail-boxes have been going missing for years, Far more concerning is the slow down of sorting and delivering once mail is in the system.
Our election laws are a patchwork of regulations that vary by state if not local. Some have a large window for mailed in ballots some have no window at all, not allowing for absentee ballots without meeting a strict rules as to why.
If you can delay the mail, you can limit the timeframe between ballots being mailed and the required return to be counted.
It would seam it would be simple to mail outbound ballots earlier and allow those post-marked by election day to be counted, but it is not the case. Many of those changes would require a change to the states constitution, or require a referendum.
I am fortunate to live in a state that it is easy to get an absentee ballot, and have already put in my request. I will not receive one until October and will turn it in to the clerk of the county in person.
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion