One for Nikki

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:30 am

One for Nikki

This picture came up on another board I am on. He can't get the A/C to cool after swapping in a V12 M/B! I wonder why, no engine driven fan and look at the rad to engine clearance ! Air flow? we don't need no stinken air flow! Thinks a coupla electric fans will do the trick?
Attachments
Merc.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: One for Nikki

I had a short lived overheating situation after I installed a 6.9 V8 Diesel in an R120.
The engine was big and filled most of the engine bay and 5 inches into the cab. I was using an engine driven fan. The engine was out of a Ford F350.
The fan had a properly fitted shroud with the correct 60/40 relation to the fan.
The fix.
I built an aluminum air dam and installed it just below the radiator. This deflected some of the road-blast and made a lower pressure area behind it. The second fix was to set the AC condensor away from the front of the radiator about 2 inches.
I had been using a water to oil heat exchanger for the C6 Automatic, this contributed heat to the engine cooling system. I installed a large oil to air heat exchanger under the box. The heat exchanger had air deflectors and a Bosch electric fan. I installed a temperature sensor/switch at the ATF outlet on the transmission. The ATF returned to the transmission near the back of the case. Just to appease my interest, I included a temperature sender and a dash mounted temperature gauge. I saw transmission temperatures reach 265F in the Coquahalla, before the cooler. The cooler would drop the ATF temperature by 90 degrees F. I installed a second sensor on the ATF return. ( same gauge, plus X-over switch)
The 6.9 was a challenge for me inspired by a neighbour.
I would not use a 6.9/7.3 again because of the low power output for the size and weight challenges. A 5.9 Cummins is a better engine and a better fit. I have a good Cummins 4bta, it is more powerful than a 6.9. The 5.9 Cummins fits an "R" with no cutting of the cab.
Attachments
cummins 24 valve.jpg
24 valve in waiting
Cummins Package.jpg
"paackage"
6.9 worn out and in an R120.jpg
end of life after 20 years.
R120 6.9.jpg
tighter than a frog's a$$ in fly season
ATF oil cooler.jpg
ATF oil cooler 2.jpg
ATF oil cooler
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Just don't see how you can get any kind of airflow with a brick wall just behind the radiator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:31 pm

brick walls are the worst. A big engine is a close second. Having a good pressure differential can help with cooling. Cooling rules change significantly between slow city traffic and faster highway traffic.
Hood vent scoops can assist, but placement and direction is critical. There is a higher pressure area at the base of the windshield to consider. I have 2 manometers. They were helpful. :t0116:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:43 am

Nikki,
Looks like you’re the man. I got this email from my BIL in S. Dakota and it contained a forwarded message concerning an individual at a McDonalds drive-thru. Many times you have described your exploits at McDonald’s, so, naturally, once I read the E-mail, I just knew that your fame and acclaim are becoming world famous.

The E-mail:
“I was in the McDonald’s drive-through this morning and the young lady behind me leaned on her horn because I was taking too long to place my order.

“Take the high road,” I thought to myself. So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own.

The cashier must have told her what I'd done, because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed, "thank you," obviously embarrassed that I had repaid her rudeness with a kindness.

When I got to the second window I showed them both receipts and took her food too.

Now she has to go back to the end of the line start all over.

Don't honk your horn at old people.”

No mention of Vancouver, Burnaby or green/grey Dodge 4x4, so there’s room for doubt it was you, but come on........we know you!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:23 am

Busted! :t3909:

Return to Non-IH discussion