Multi Piece rims

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Multi Piece rims

On another board we were talking about different multi piece rims. Monsonmotors brought up the Goodyear rim that was used on the D and K series.
Many have heard of the Firestone RH 5 deg wheel AKA Widowmaker.
Most here will not have seen or experience with the Trilex rim. It is common in the middle east and down under. Thought some might find it interesting.
Attachments
Trilex 3.jpg
Trilex 3.jpg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Trilex 2.jpg
Trilex 2.jpg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
trilex 1.jpg
trilex 1.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 3285 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Re: Multi Piece rims

That is interesting, seems to be a clever design. What's the safety record on those rims? I suppose the other question would be do they present any difficulties when it comes to balancing the wheel? It seems like more parts would increase the chance that the wheel would not be true.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:45 pm

I believe they are still in production (in 24" size). I have no idea about the other questions. May be someone from down under can answer?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:48 am

I had a good friend on the internet from a another site who was an over the road trucker . He was an Aussie and a Car / Truck/ Motorcycle enthusiast who liked to build customs and restorations. I'm sure he could have shed some light on these rims but sadly he passed away last year.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 pm

never seen those before, interesting
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:40 pm

To hear an Aussi mechanic tell the story, neither did a young scale master down under, He "downed " the truck at the scale for have all the rims cracked! He had to go out the scale with a bare rim and the training manual to "educate" the young sod!
I've seen them in pictures of trucks in a Middle East (24" rubber) and on trucks in Australia and New Zealand.
Never layed my eyes or hands on one, myself. looking at it apart, and the way it goes together, I think it would be more secure than the Goodyear design that the K and D series used. I think I would inflate it on the spokes, like the Goodyear rim.
I would guess the hard part is getting the last piece of the "puzzle" in place.
Another interesting thing is their are an SKF-Holland product, sold in both 24 and 20" rubber. I don't know why they were not sold here, may be by the time they came out, we had mostly switched to tubeless?

Return to Non-IH discussion