Corona Virus

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:06 am

Re: Corona Virus

Well Lloyd, I don't see a more appropriate place to discuss the topic, then under its own heading, regardless if you disagree with the "politics".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 am

Iowa by some numbers doesn't look too bad 298 positive test, but once you look at negative tests, it is obvious we don't know what we don't know.
On the news last night, they said around 5000 negatives, but we have a population of 3.15 million residents. 5,300 tests is statistically insignificant in a population of over 3 million! We have tests on the population equlvent of a small village for the whole state.
I am not picking on Iowa, I just happen to live here and had the 'stats. Of course things change daily, but the US is the #1 in infections at the moment, and if we have only tested a similar percent of the population nation wide, we really have no idea of the infection rate in the country.
I fear we are going to be the new Italy.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am

"I fear that we are going to be the new Italy"

I think you're right at least in my region I don't see enough people taking it seriously. My friend from the east coast had that attitude until his state just topped 59,000 positives now he is in panic mode.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 am

I think we don't have a full country wide "buy in" on how serious this is. That is driven by conflicting and contradicting info.
If ever there was a time for science based info and recommendations it is now. As much as I respect Dr Fouci I don't think he is getting the message out forcefully enough.
I just read a 78 year old was killed in the hospital by her roomate. She started to fall and reached for a grab bar, the other patient punched her for "violating distancing "! She died as a result of her fall. We have got to the point that people are punching 78 year old grandmothers? If we are going to make it through this, hospital rooms are going to have to house more than one, in non-critical patients.
I've totally cut off visiting my 90 year old parents, I just can't be sure I am not bring the virus to them.
I am not sure how I am going to truck, but will haul the needed loads, when they come up. Things change day to day and region to region. I read where the suspended the hour of service for "necessary loads" but not a clear definition as to what they are. I for one, have to ask if you can suspend safety regs, are they really for safety? Regardless of the law, I will not drive more than I do, and I worry about those that would. I can see drivers being pushed beyond their limits by dispatchers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am

COPY AND PASTE: As much as I respect Dr Fouci I don't think he is getting the message out forcefully enough.
The good Doctor is trying to get the message out but at the same time he must keep his job. If he gets to close to the BS he will be fired and his strong scientific influence will be lost. Doctors like Fouci are celebrated in Canada. The good Doctor's position is not unlike being on "some" forums.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 pm

I was one of the original subscribers to Mister Pete 222 on You Tube. I have faithfully watched his over 1000 videos. This morning Mr. Pete wrote off covit19 as another calling out WOLF, WOLF.
It would appear that this video has been taken down. I thought it was a cowardly thing for Mr. Pete to disable the comments on this video.
This covit19 event is real. Only you can make a difference.
I am the same age as Mr. Pete.
I have unsubscribed from Mr. Pete's channel.
I do not think it is in his character to admit he might have been wrong. I do not care about this trait in him, but when his declaration could adversely affect thousands of persons, it suddenly became serious, for me.
There is the greater good responsibility that goes with his position of over 65 million views. Under the prevailing pandemic situation, personal opinions should be tempered with science.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:COPY AND PASTE: As much as I respect Dr Fouci I don't think he is getting the message out forcefully enough.
The good Doctor is trying to get the message out but at the same time he must keep his job. If he gets to close to the BS he will be fired and his strong scientific influence will be lost. Doctors like Fouci are celebrated in Canada. The good Doctor's position is not unlike being on "some" forums.

I agree he a ray of light in a dark hole. At some point you have to stand up and call bull **** what it is. I know he is trying to walk a tightrope, but there are things more important than a job, and if your being used, by conveying false or misleading information or not contradicting bad info, it is time to call-em as they are.
Possibility of 200,000 dead (what he is saying) is no time to worry about your "bosses" feelings.
With the test rate like a posted earlier I'm not sure even he can make an accurate call.
I know he is trying.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:22 pm

I do not think anyone can accurately predict wbat will happen and many will die. Could be 100,000, could be 200,000. Could be much more or possibly less. There are alot of moving parts. The more people you test the more they find infected. At the same time the more they find the less fatal it looks percentage wise. More haave already died this year from the flu. I am not downplaying it but it is true. This is the entire problem with predicting and modeling but all we can do is try and guestimate. We will only know for sure after the fact.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 pm

I agree we don't know what we don't know. I think this is going to test us in a way we haven't seen in 80 years. Either we can come together for good of all, or we will see a lot of suffering. I can't imagine having a loved one die and not being able to be there for them, not being able for the family to get together an grieve.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:52 am

hattrick4467 wrote:I More haave already died this year from the flu. I am not downplaying it but it is true. This is the entire problem with predicting and modeling but all we can do is try and guestimate. We will only know for sure after the fact.

That 'stat like many are misleading. No more haven't died from the flu this year (from Jan 1, 2020) but more have died from Oct, 2019, than have from Covid so far in this country. With a head start that is to be expected. The thing that make this so scary is the infection rate and the death rate from that infection, not the total deaths so far. If we wait to take action until the death rate exceeds the rate from the flu in all of 2019 thru the current date we will be much worse off. Also Covid-19 takes more "healthy" people than the flu.
Dr Fouci is projecting (with what data we have available today) up to 200,000 deaths, That is a horrible 'stat and one that is subject to change as better and more complete testing data becomes available.
I got a call yesterday and if well, will be heading out again with a load. With things changing at such a rapid rate I'll be interested to see the change in one weeks time. I hope it will be no more difficult than when I was coming home last time.
edit to correct dates of 'stat flu deaths.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion