Corona Virus

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:38 am

Corona Virus

I guess the powers that be don't want us talking about this on the "Front Porch" so I'll start a new thread
It was my understanding that the F/P thread was where we got together to talk things over non truck relate. Like those who would gather on the front porch to discuss the new of the day.
CV is the biggest thing in the room right now, it effects everybody and is everywhere except Antarctica at the moment.
No one is going to unaffected by the time it is over, while we may have differing opinions, I for one think it is important to discuss them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:44 am

Re: Corona Virus

I live in the England, we are in a country wide lock down at the moment. Im hoping this will curb the peek. I also think the lock down will go on for a lot longer than the 3 weeks. Its interesting how other countries are dealing with this situation we are all in. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:59 am

Our problem is we are doing everything and nothing depending on where you live. Restrictions vary and compliance varies. In some cases we used forced quarantine on military bases (those returning from overseas diplomatic mission) in other cases we just checked for fever of dis-embarking passengers from planes and cruise ships.
One thing is for certain, with this being world wide, and responses different, history will show what was successful and what countries "dropped the ball". So far South Korea seems to have had the best outcome while maintaining a balance between civil liberties and containment. Unfortunately, their approach can't be duplicated after it gets a foothold in an area, it must be done right when it starts. For most places, it is too late. They also have to have a robust healthcare system and plenty of funds to keep it going and do testing. That rules out most of Africa, even though they are in the early stages.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:04 am

I have a friend who is a doctor who's abilities and intellect I very much respect sent me this article a short time ago. It doesn't paint a rosy picture but I believe this is the reality we are facing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... nd/608719/
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:01 pm

Great article Mike, also the one by Peter Wehner "The President is Trapped" at the bottom of the page.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:00 pm

My brother sent me that a few days ago, hard reading truths.
I think what we face today is going to change the world in ways that haven't been shocked like this since the world wars in the last century.
We have, up to this point thought armed conflict would be the "game changers" but we are at a point that wars don't end or resolve. They cool down and heat up and are devastating for those who are in the middle of the violence. They rarely involve the majority of the world and most of the world are insulated from the price of it.
Pandemic's on the other hand, recognize no boundaries including class or social-economic standing. Senators and homeless are falling sick alike, and while the Senator is more likely to get good care and survive, it isn't a guarantee of outcome. Our wealth can not insulate from the results, and we are going to be tested in ways not seen for 80 years. I can only hope we have the strength our grandparents did.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm

I thought I would throw this out there! It brought tears to my eyes.
https://centurylink.net/player/category ... -velephant

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 pm

I consider myself to be very lucky to live in a country with a great, not for profit, health system. Our leaders recognized the importance of getting ahead of the virus and started testing early. The covid19 is not over yet, but it appears to be under control, here.
Quarantine violations are a serious offense. Arrest and fines up to $15,000 under some circumstances
Our federal and provincial governments have made money available to offset hardship form not working. Persons who should be off work don't need to worry about rent and other payments.
I have not been going out and about, needlessly, for several years, so, staying home is status quo. Ordering online is an option and we use it a lot.
I have a Poodle asking for my attention, so I had better go. :t3909:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:11 pm

Self Responsibility, Consideration and Decency shown to others .
Three of the most important virtues, and actions blatantly ignored by many people.
Fair article Mike thanks.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Thank you CB for starting this Thread, lets try to keep it factual. The other one had devolved. If Politics "needs" to be brought in, please put that in the Correct area. I look forward to Shared information. Lots of finger pointing here in the States will do NO One any good. I will attempt to read All links, as I like information.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion