The myth of the 100 mpg carb

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Re: The myth of the 100 mpg carb

I was hitch hiking home from College and got a ride in a Motorhome!! That was a big score. It was a farming couple from Peace River country heading south to winter in the states. He told me he had a water injection system rigged up and he flipped the switch on a steep hill. I could feel a boost instantly. They stopped at a lake and I helped him put in a noisier turn signal flasher. Since he didn't hear so well (typical Farmer) he often forgot the signal switch on. Meanwhile, his wife made sandwiches. It was a pretty good day.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:38 am

CB, thanks for reminding me about that one. I haven't heard about the 100 mpg carb since the 80s when my dad tried explaining why it wouldn't work to a customer that swore he had found the plans for this thing and wanted have it fabbed and for my dad to outfit his car with it. I'm pretty sure my dad just wound up telling the guy he was too stupid to do business with and he could find another mechanic to waste his money with.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am

We are having a lot of fun with it over on the "stak, going on 4 pages covering GDI and variable cam timeing as well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:31 pm

hi,
Please forgive me if I'm bringing up an old topic. But there were two things an old time mechanic told me years ago he used to do as a kid to improve mileage, although not in the 100 mpg range. The first was to put a screen between the carb and intake manifold. That was supposed to increase the turbulence of the air and atomization of the fuel entering the engine. The other was to have a small tube inserted in the top of the air cleaner with a restriction in the tube so that water would just drip into the top of the carb, especially at high vacuum. That was supposed to make the engine run cooler and cleaner and allow a bit more spark advance. This would be back in the days before injection was invented and a 216 cu in Chevy engine was cutting edge technology. Is there any truth to his claims?

Also, what about plasma ignition?
http://aaronmurakami.com/my-books-video ... n-secrets/

I actually spoke to Aaron once years ago. He claims, with video back-up, that with this ignition spark system an engine can actually run on water. His video shows a lawn mower actually running on drinking water. The big drawback (I don't know how to explain it with proper terminology) seems to be that there is no way to control the speed of detonation. What I mean is there is no way to add the equivalent of octane to the water. Adding more water just makes the detonation that much more intense or explosive. The explosion is instantaneous and breaks the rings and quickly destroys the pistons after a short time running.
Anyone have any comments or experience with this?
I guess this could kind of fall into the category of 100 mpg engines. :-)
Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Screens are a restriction so adding one would be the same thing as backing off the throttle a bit, yeah, it will help but there is no free lunch.
Water has proven benefits, esp in curbing detonation. Most engines curb detonation at higher power setting by making the mixture richer than ideal, The problem with relying on water injection is: if it freezes, you run out, or the system malfunctions and floods the engine with water, look out.
I didn't wade thru your link, but you can't run an engine on water, no matter how hot the spark or how high the compression. Splitting water into Hydrogen and Oxygen takes more energy than can be released by re combining it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm

The screens did have a function.

Anyone who ever sat on the outside of a corner at a dirt track race understands.

60~70 years ago, lots of dirt track racers did not use air cleaners (why, I don't know).

The screen kept the clods out of the engine.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion