Can you read a map?

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Can you read a map?

cornbinder89 wrote:I enjoy looking at old maps, It can tell you alot about the area back then. Montana has all their old maps online Back to when it was a territory. Iowa has their old railroad map online, you can see how the state grew because of the railroads. At the turn of the last century, there was a rail line running right by my house, nothing remains to let you know it was ever there.
My Grandfather had a place in northern Maine, it was sparsely populated in the 60's but had a blooming population in the 1880's according to an old map he had, roads that were there back in the 1880's are completely gone by the 1970's.
All stuff that can't be gleaned from GPS.

CB, could you post a link to the old Iowa RR maps? We are riding the Boone and Scenic Valley RR in our rail speeder with the First Iowa Division this weekend. It's a great ride with a trip over the Des Moines river on a 154' high trestle.

b4

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:29 am

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Thank you, tons of info there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:39 pm

I enjoy maps of all kinds, always have, and I like seeing the changes over time.
The was a place I hauled out of in Missoula, that had a 1920's railroad map on the shipping office wall, when I went in there last month they moved the shipping office and the map was gone, wish I could have been the recipient of it!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:40 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_War

Sometimes the maps or the countries that held them didn't agree with one another.
56 S120 4x4,
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion