Can you read a map?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Re: Can you read a map?

I've spent a lot of hours horseback when I was a little bit younger, buddy of mine and myself used to do a lot of riding in the mountains and in the high desert. We lived the the cowboy life for awhile. no maps just dead reckoning. The past few years I haven't done much riding but this past August the wife and I went to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We rode mules from the top of the rim down into the canyon on a narrow switch back trail with sheer rock walls on one side and 1,000' drop offs on the other. Quite a bit of faith was put in those mules. Because I had experience they gave a really big spirited mule named Ike. I had to show him who was boss but he never put a foot wrong. It felt good to be back riding especially in a setting like that!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Ralph says he does not now much about harnessing a horse. That may be so. The days of horse skills have left a mark on our language. How many horse idioms slip into conversation in Saskatchewan?
Here is a link to some of the harness related idioms that remain in our language.

I was surprised I recognized most of those horse related expressions. My dad often referred to "hoofing it" if he had to walk. And certain people were quick to "get on their high horse". Beating a dead horse was a popular one. And of course eating like a horse.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 pm

I enjoy looking at old maps, It can tell you alot about the area back then. Montana has all their old maps online Back to when it was a territory. Iowa has their old railroad map online, you can see how the state grew because of the railroads. At the turn of the last century, there was a rail line running right by my house, nothing remains to let you know it was ever there.
My Grandfather had a place in northern Maine, it was sparsely populated in the 60's but had a blooming population in the 1880's according to an old map he had, roads that were there back in the 1880's are completely gone by the 1970's.
All stuff that can't be gleaned from GPS.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Some dirt roads I travel on were once part off the overland stagecoach route in the 1880's. Another bit of trivia the highway north heading out of Cortez Colorado to La Salle Utah for many years was Rt. 666. It gained the nickname "The Devils Backbone". Church groups took offense at it and after years of petitioning the state got the route number changed. My one road atlas from 1977 shows it as 666.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:43 pm

I remember that.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:57 am

I only found out that 666 had had its name changed this past year.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:31 am

Here in the arid west the devil seems to be a popular fellow, lending his name to nearly every unusual natural feature. Angels have a few things named after them, but not as many as their adversary, and I assume they're somewhat disappointed by that. Perhaps they have better luck in the tropics.

I had my own GPS misadventure in eastern PA. Thought I'd take some back roads on my last day. I got more than I bargained for. By the time I realized I was headed down a rutted mountain road it was too late to turn around or back up. Boy was I glad it was a rental.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:05 pm

I remember when they built I-29 and I-80 through Council Bluffs but not 680. My Grandpa used to own Manawa Truck Stop on South Omaha Bridge Road where I grew up until they put I-29 through and closed South Omaha Bridge Road down by Lewis Central School.
My other Grandparents lived next to Mosquito Creek and we could watch them when they were building I-80 heading out of Council Bluffs.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:12 pm

According to my sister, who I try to learn nothing from, if the branch off an Interstate, for instance I-80, starts with an odd number, it never reconnects with the Interstate. So, I-380 to Cedar Rapids from I-80, doesn't reconnect, but I-680 and I-880 do. If someone knows that's wrong, I'll be happy to tell her. I still like maps.

ahJvk1389671100.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:51 pm

That was the original plan with the numbering system, not sure it works out that way in practice. Just as the numbers were supposed to go from south-west to north east. (5 in the west 10 in the south) but there are places where higher numbers are further west than lower (I-99). Odd was supposed to be a spur into a city, even was supposed to be bypass loop around a city.
There is no I50 because it would be placed near the middle where US 50 runs. The interstate numbering system was supposed to be the opposite of the US route system to try and reduce confusion.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion