Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

nikkinutshop wrote: randemon has the right idea.
I have 3 Flathead V8s. They are not worth the trouble, unless a person wants something original in an old Ford. The cost of rebuilding an old Flathead is shocking and all a person gets is a nice sounding engine that is not very powerful. I spent $15k on my Flathead to bring a little performance into it.

I love my flathead V8s because I grew up around them and learned to drive (and fix) them. The Merc flathead in my 52 is literally music to my ears. A six cylinder has no excitement value for me. Just a utility to get the job done. My S160 does ok with it's mostly original BD240 (under powered for a truck that size). My R160 was upgraded to a BD 264 which is a step in the right direction for power but I'd still love to hear it running a 304 V8 with duals and glass packs like my 71 Loadstar. Maybe some day when the sixes wear out. No, I know they will outlast me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Ralph, if it were me, I'd be looking for the elusive Loadstar with a 308! Few were made, but they were made! Perkins was another option seldom seen.
I drove a '73 1200 dump with the AMC 258 and it was a 45 mph truck, but would out haul a C30 with a 350.
The thing about medium trucks built before the early 70's was they were expected to be used at speeds below 45. They weren't generally considered hiway trucks.
I worked on a Chevy C40 dump with a 292, it got the job done.
Seen and looked over a Loadstar with a 392, tandem dump on Hendrickson beam, 44K GVW! Talk about under powered, it had juice brakes as well. Ex county dump.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:36 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:
Seen and looked over a Loadstar with a 392, tandem dump on Hendrickson beam, 44K GVW! Talk about under powered, it had juice brakes as well. Ex county dump.

Try running GVW close to 30,000 with a little 304 and you will know the definition of under powered. Whoever installed a 15 foot grain box on this truck was pretty optimistic. It will hold 350 bushels of wheat and always gets the job done. Just hope there are no long steep hills. I kind of regret having the 304 rebuilt 20 years ago. I should have just looked for a good used 392 from a wrecker to replace this one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:19 pm

I think it would be nice if you could do something about the Mercury pickup rusting away in your yard. The truck has the potential to be worth more than the other old stuff you have in the shed. Have you considered selling the Mercury M100?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:07 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I think it would be nice if you could do something about the Mercury pickup rusting away in your yard. The truck has the potential to be worth more than the other old stuff you have in the shed. Have you considered selling the Mercury M100?

Its an M68 (3/4 ton). Rides like the proverbial lumber wagon as I recall from 50 years ago. I have no plans to sell at this time. I get some satisfaction out of just seeing it there. Still hopes of it running one day.
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion