Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

Nikki you have convinced me, I will mortgage my house tomorrow and set forth on a quest to modernize my woefully inadequate old truck. :twisted:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 pm

He said: I don't think this poll is about decision making just seeing what the individual members here are doing with their rigs and how the results stack up.

I was only posting my reasons for doing what I do. If there is anything there any person can use, they should go for it. Either way, money will have to be spent.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:44 am

how the results stack up.

So the keeping original camp wins 3 to 1
lets have a vote for total ban on all IHC truck mods to other than original.
either your a purest
or an outcast ..

As for me I vote to be an outcast

Be safe

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:36 am

Harvey wrote:
how the results stack up.

So the keeping original camp wins 3 to 1
lets have a vote for total ban on all IHC truck mods to other than original.
either your a purest
or an outcast ..

As for me I vote to be an outcast

Be safe

The poll being "original or modern motor" I think I can still squeak by when I bolt in my new(er) syncro four speed and remain one of the faithful but let's see, then there's my plastic tail light bodies, my generic wiper switch , my aftermarket gauges, etc, etc,.........nope for your new poll guess I'm not a purist either.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 pm

My take is these vehicles were never intended to be a "Car". Prior to the late 70's pick-up's were considered load carrying vehicles, and were more utilitarian.
Until the early 80's in heavy trucks, A/C was an aftermarket add on option.
Windshields were gasketed instead of cemented in, this means they were more likely to leak, but could be replaced in a matter of an hr by the driver.
My K's crank out windshield is not totally water-tight and I am ok with that.
Expecting a K, L or R to be like a car, is to expect it to be something it was not designed to be.
The body was not insulated, and was designed to handle the needs as a farm truck, dirt and mud in the cab and some chassie twisting on farm tracks.
Trying to fit all the modern "creature comforts' to something that was designed to be a work truck doesn't make much sense to me.
You could use a Ford model T as your daily driver as well, but don't expect it to be a modern car.
My K gets around 10 mpg, and I am fine with that. I can load a 3,200 lb Cummins Big Cam in the back and it will still get 10 MPG, Better than my Semi with a trailer for moving such parts. If I want to run to the city to meet my folks for dinner, then neither the K or the 9670 make much sense.
To me, I enjoy them for what they are, and were. I would not hesitate to drive my 1941 K -7 on a 1000 mile trip in the dead of winter and in mid summer, and have done just that. Was it as comfortable as my car? no! but it did the job I needed it too. I don't try and make it something it was never intended to be.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am

I like my L110 model all original, I enjoy the slower pace it forces me into. I don't live in a high traffic area and when I do take it on a long trip I don't get in a hurry with it.

My son on the other hand wants a hot rod, so the C112 I gave him is getting my old spare 472 Cadillac and 400 turbo installed in it. He has a buddy that is an pipe welder in the oil field and is helping him box the frame and fab the motor mounts. Right now he is about to go get a drive shaft made so he can move it around the shop under its own power and then he will be getting disc brakes for it on all four corners. I think he plans on using my spare Caddy rear end in it as well. Once he is done with the mechanical he plans on installing a vintage heat and air unit in it so he can cruise around in comfort.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Do you know that your 472 Cadillac engine weighs 675 pounds? This is getting into the Diesel weight arena.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:42 pm

Keeping my engine stock 240 but brakes are all four disk brakes with vacuum assist. No smoking diesel in my vintage truck, I would rather hear the sewing machine lifters my truck came with.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Nikki, I'm aware. My son is young and dumb and has too much money (he works for Haliburton). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this pick-up winds up with a 4BT in it at some point, my son is a big Cummins fan, his daily ride is a 2015 3500 Ram.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:22 pm

The much in demand Cummins 4bta has become so very expensive. I have a reconditioned 4bta sitting on a mobile storage frame, in my shop. The 4bt is old and reliable technology with the right amount of Diesel fuel knock.
This modification may not be necessary for every 4bt install, but I had to remove the OEM transmission crossmember and replace it with a stronger and removable design.
I have turned down a few offers in the $10k area. I could sell the 4bt, but I do not know for sure what my longer term plans will be for this motor.
If a person wants to spend some money for a new Cummins engine there is the new Cummins R28. If I were to do any of this again, I would likely go the Cummins R28 way. If any person is interested in this well thought out Cummins Crate Engine, Google for lots of information.
I am going to attach a You Tube link to my 4bta. This is the "first" start and run for this engine, after the freshening. The Transmission is a Th475 and the transfercase is an NVG 241C
https://youtu.be/piPq01w1YHo
https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
https://youtu.be/87WuczmOI6s
Attachments
FIRST ENGINE FIT-UP.jpg
nice fit in an "L"
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
ready to go
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion