Auto makers non-automotive brands.

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Re: Auto makers non-automotive brands.

I agree. I have strongly held opinions on this topic.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Re: Auto makers non-automotive brands.

My mother did 10 hr. days at a sewing machine making uniforms while my father was fighting in the south pacific, he was badly wounded on Iwo Jima. My grandmother gave up some of her pots and pans she really could not spare for the scrap metal drives. Gram and Gramp's bought war bonds and Gramp's a WWI vet was part of the local civil defense.Everything was rationed. So indeed everyone pulled together and sacrifices were made by my family and the nation.

On an industrial level everything turned to defense production but that is not to say that fortunes were not made and lost and that ideals were of the highest and the purest even then shortly after Pearl Harbor in our nations darkest hour. People will profit and shady deals will happen even in times like that.

Harley Davidson and Indian motorcycles is one example. The government gave out strict specifications for a war bike and both companies went to work building a proto type. Harley basically cheated and built a bike way out of spec albeit a very good one while Indian followed the specs. and the rules. Of course the HD shone and got the contract.Indian did not get a contract to build any of the Harley bikes like Ford did for Willys. Indian took a hit, sold almost no bikes during the war and could not afford to retool the factory at wars end. Harley came out of the war financially smelling like a rose while it was the beginning of the end for Indian, a company that once held sway over the marketplace.
56 S120 4x4,
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion