OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

I will have to say YES. I will check in a few minutes and if it is not workable, I will reply or edit . My only concern would be from a rear-end collision and the light assembly poking a hole in someone's head. One of the guys that I worked with used small LED side clearance lights mounted on fabricated brackets and mounted them low on each side. I am thinking that some sort of head-rest-restraint system might be a good idea on my son's "L". BMW recycled head-rests look like they would make a good choice.
I had my scalp split open in a rear-end collision. A Honda CR-Z hit the back of our R120. The R was drivable and the Honda went home in a bag, lined with a DEPENDS.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:56 pm

My son and I hung the dashboard for the first time this PM. I need to take some measurements for the steering column support bracket location. All of this stuff is home-made and has been anodized to a gun-metal pearl. I don't make up the names.
The valance holds the AC vents and the AC computer. On the left side there is an LED light for shared brake warning for low fluid and parking brake on. In the centre there are two pressure small AUTOMETER pressure gauges. One for boost and the other for the suspension air tank I added some Ford Scrip.
Attachments
BRACKET VIEW 2.jpg
adjustable steering column bracket
STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTABLE SUPPORT.jpg
adjustable bracket 2
STEERING COLUMN BRACKET.jpg
column clamp
DASH 2.jpg
dash from the left side
UNDER DASH VALANCE BOOST AND SUSPENSION AIR.jpg
Autometer pressure gauges for boost and tank air
DASH FIRST INSTALL.jpg
right side dash view

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:40 am

Looking Good.

Its so nice to hear your young bloke is out giving you a hand, hear so many now a days couldn't care less for getting their hands dirty.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 am

Keeping his interest can be the challenge, some "daze". There are so many and different distractions in 2014. It was different, for me, because my immigrant parents were much more demanding and there were survival consequences. I am very pleased that "The Boy " is in a well paying career and is not a substance abuser. Any shop time is a bonus. The rule here is, job first.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:16 am

THIRD BRAKE LIGHT
Yes, it will work on an L or R split window, BUT this unit may not be the best choice. There are much wider lights available that might work better with the Binder center post. I Googled billet aluminum third brake light and got a "hundred" options.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Today's push.
The valance has faded but looks darker after a little "moisturizing".
I am shopping for some nice billet aluminum AC vents. The "free" vents that came with the VINTAGE AIR unit are made of ABS plastic, look like S@## and resist movement.
The steering wheel cover is made in China and I bought it at an AMERICAN Icon Motorcycle store. How sad is that? The price was right and I only need it to protect the wheel.
Attachments
PRESSURE.jpg
suspension air and boost
DASH REAR VIEW.jpg
LEFT SIDE DASH VIEW.jpg
DASH AND VALANCE.jpg
FORD DELUXE.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Today, the alternator went on after I made a custom bolt and a distressed nut. My son did an outstanding job of finishing the fitting of the sound and heat insulation
The German Square Weave fitted carpet came today. It looks really good and just like I ordered. Since the carpet was made from a template that does a good general fit, this Ford has had a few floor modifications that will require "some adjustment" to the carpet. As requested, the supplier sent the carpet grommets uninstalled. The carpet was within a few dollars of the original price of the car in 1940, 75 years ago.
Even though I got what I ordered, precisely, at a price I agreed to, something makes me think there should have been a bigger and/or second box.
Attachments
SOUND AND HEAT INSULATION.jpg
CARPET 2.jpg
GERMAN SQUARE WEAVE.jpg
ALTERNATOR 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 am

What, no posts lately? Getting lazy? Been on vacation? Eating too much pie?
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:26 pm

All of those things and ....................
I needed a few "daze" off to rethink a few things and make a big change. All is well at home, as it has always been, I am pleased to say. Lloyd told me to say this and nothing more. LOL

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 pm

The car project has continued even though the temperature in the shop was up to 32C by noon.
The dashboard must come out one more time because we forgot some insulation under the cowl and fitting the glove box and corner ashtray doors. There are just too many chances for damage if we force anything. I did not allow enough for paint and some of the pieces have to be "massaged" just a little. It took an hour to fit the reproduction speaker grill. An ALPINE RADIO with remote control goes behind the grill. The paint will not be changed to make room, so the accessories get modified.
The ABS plastic AC nozzles had some 'splash chrome" on the louver and it looked li %%^^^. My son said that we should hit the chrome with some blasted glass beads to see what happens before popping for three replacement billet aluminium nozzles at $100 each. The terrible chrome disappeared in seconds and all is well.
I needed a break from the heat inside the car. It was cooler on the other end of the shop, so milled out a hold-down knob for the airfilter cover. It matches all of the other knobs on the engine.
I was able to ignore my biggest distraction for the last 11 months and it came home today. I had almost forgotten just how nice six cylinders can sound. The Honda is a 1999 and it has almost 30,000 kilometers on the odometer. I have every receipt for everything since it was new. This includes the original advertisement from the local news paper and the original price placard from the dealer, the salesperson's card, bill of sale and the cancelled cheque. I have two of every original HONDA machine screw and grommet in PLANO divided box. This Honda was MADE IN USA, 100%.
EDIT: The airfilter cover is a home cast unit. They are not being made anymore. Interestingly, they have become very collectable in this area.
Attachments
VALKYRIE 1520.jpg
VALKYRIE INTERSTATE
AIRFILTER KNOB TO MATCH.jpg
KNOB
AC NOZZLEAFTER GLASS BEADING.jpg
DECHROMED AC NOZZLE
REPRODUCTION SPEAKER GRILL.jpg
BOB DRAKE REPRODUCTION SPEAKER GRILL
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion