The Real Deal

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: The Real Deal

My 'real deal' '39 Dodge TC, before and after ...
Mostly stock, original 201" flat six (70hp)
Not restored, just cleaned up, re-built suspension, rattle can paint
Attachments
39 TC.jpg
1939TC.JPG
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Mike you can "rattlecan" my trucks, anytime!
YES! That is the real deal!
Any idea what the door had on it???

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:35 pm

rbelgum wrote:I guess i should rephrase that Studebaker went into war production In February of 42. Which leads to another question when did International go into war production?

My understanding is that they never ceased production of Civvy models, but their sale was restricted to essential needs markets. It is part of the reason so many K-5's are around today, food production (farming) and other places could still buy.
I'm not sure when the directive came out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:34 pm

CB, I did research of some pre-WWII era commercial vehicle production and found that we were "in the war" much earlier than advertised. For example, the California National Guard was "nationalized" and "mobilized" a full year before Pearl Harbor. It was National Guard 251st Coast Artillery soldiers from San Diego that were in that light plane that the Japanese Zeros shot down on December 7th.
I collect old National Guard Yearbooks from that era and the "military-style" 4wd jeeps and Dodge 4wd trucks had shown up in PRE-Pearl Harbor photos.
In other words civilian production had already shifted to a wartime footing WELL in advance.
Whoever said Roosevelt was caught completely flat-footed at Pearl Harbor was wrong.
The ex-military vehicles I've owned are ALL because the US Govt was building for war in the late 1930s (as National Guard ranks swelled). I've owned a 1939 USMC D-2 flatbed, a 1939 Ford National Guard Ambulance, a 1940 USN Packard Ambulance and on and on.
It's gotten to the point where I'm surprised something I have ISN'T ex-military.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 pm

I had a 1945 K-3 pickup, don't know if it was made during the war or sold titled during war, long gone so can't check vin,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm

rbelgum wrote:Jon
your friends Dans truck is very nice,But its a 47 .I get this all the time. Yes there were more than 8 I tons made, but not in 1942 , Like everybody else Studebaker shut down for the war in January of 42. My truck was 5th from the end of production line. If anyone knows of another documented 42 I would like to see it. I have see two other,s a half ton and a 1 1/2 ton . But no other one tons. Please prove me wrong I would be thrilled that another 42 1 ton exists.

My apology, I just looked at the picture, not the date, but to be fair a 42 and 45, 46, 47 are the same truck, only difference is vin number,

OK I agree you have one of 8 1942 versions of this truck,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:32 pm

BRJ I had a USN version of a K-3. It had the military steering wheel. The man that owned it before me used it to pull his huge house trailer from Indiana to California. I sold the truck to an ex-Navy man.
I have a picture somewhere of a WWII-era Navy ship with a K series pickup lashed to the deck. Pretty cool!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:04 am

One of our oldihc members bought this. It most certainly is the real deal. I hope it's out of the snow by now.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 pm

I remember that truck! bet it got interesting going full height on that ladder is swung out sideways from truck, no outriggers on the truck,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm

BRJ, I coulda used this truck to trim trees this past weekend. I see your point on the outriggers.
If I recall, the man selling this truck on ebay was miffed at the number of auction watchers vs the number of auction bidders. He wanted ACTION!
Hilarious! Ebay is a crapshoot when you sell.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion