Sunrise Towing Service

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Re: Sunrise Towing Service

For me, replacing two solid axles with two solid axles makes the most sense. For me, it is easy and there can be less engineering. The original springs are most often suitable. A person can drive the project as a two wheel drive until a suitable transfer case can be found. The replacement axles have modern components and easy to find parts. Disc brakes are part of the package deal.
I cannot see myself ever flopping an Old IHC onto a modern frame and losing most of if not all of the box depth because of the rear frame kick-up.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Lloyd, If you are going 4wd I agree with Nikki. Otherwise, IFS from a frame swap is the way to go. If all you're going to do is add straight axles, I think stock frame is fine. I'm doing that on my k series 4wd with Toyota running gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 pm

You do good work Mister Don. I like the "What if factor" without having to get my hands dirty.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:35 pm

Took Saturday morning and cleared a path for tow truck bed removal. Normally, due to our drought, there would be little foliage growing. Unfortunately, I "planted" the tow bed across the alley from my farmer neighbor's persimmons. He waters those things night and day. My trees are fed by his over-watering. Crazy in a drought!
Attachments
image.jpg
There wasn't a tree or a blade of grass here when I "planted" this. Now I have to hack it out.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Interesting discussion about welding frames - I knew I would be learning stuff on this forum!
I want to shorten the frame on my C35 (160") by about 20". I'm a little spooked about cutting/splicing so I'm thinking instead about moving the rear spring hangers forward on the frame - would still need to cut a slice out of the side to accommodate the bottom of the front hanger.

Don, congratulations on starting another project :yay: That's a nice Chevy and will make a great wrecker. I like the color, but I'm kind of partial to yellow (see attached, at least it's yellow and a chevy).
Attachments
P1020366.JPG
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Mike, I agree about the frame-splicing. On several occasions I've just slid crossmembers and axles forward on a ladder-frame, shortening wheelbase. My family has learned to deal with my awfully noisy air hammer spitting out frame rivets.
Then a mechanic friend in town pointed out how S-10 (and doubtless many other) truck frames are made. Chevy S -10s have a frame "joint" just aft or adjacent to the rear of the engine bay where the two (front and rear) completely seperate frame sections are welded together. That's how S-10 does different wbs. ONE front frame section welded to whatever wb frame they want.
My point is that we all need to relax a bit on splicing frames together. Like CB says, you should do the 45 degree cut on the flanges, at least, if you are able to spread the load around away from the weld.
I butt-welded my one ton Chevy because that's the only option I could see. I'm boxing the splice as we speak. I use a Snap-On 250 Muscle Mig with the heat turned up for good penetration after v-ing the cut. The "Snap-On" thing is only because the dealer let me make payments, not because I'm snooty.
Your yellow Corvette? Gorgeous! Money in the bank, sheesh!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:24 pm

I was hoping for a jus a little snooty. I have MILLER, how is that for snooty?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Oh, Miller. La de da, Nikkinutshop! What's next, solid gold hammers?
:)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Does ESTWING count for any shop status?
I bought a bunch (50) of Estwing hammers at a bankruptcy sale, $5 each. I resold most of them at work. I may have 3-4 left.
My most expensive, to replace, hammer is made of Lignum Vitae. It is a panel beaters hammer. The wood is so dense that it will not float on water.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:52 am

Estwing hammers are awesome! They always get bid way up on ebay, too.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion