SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Got me baffled, I can't see why you would want a bit with a hole in it? Looks well made for whatever purpose it was made for.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:36 pm

No idea. But definitely don't google image search 'finger drill' :t9409:

Maybe not a drill, but a way to twist something? Kind of like safety wire pliers?
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:02 pm

CRAIGSLIST

Here is another rare and obscure tool. I do know what it is. Lets see if anyone else might know. I bought this tool from a Craigslist seller. She had me wait in the carport while she got the tool I came for. When she reappeared at the basement door, she was naked. She offered the tool for some special attention. I gave her the $20 she had asked for on CL.

An old guy, my age, is playing a round of golf by himself. While on the 8th, he sees a frog and stops to pick the frog up and put the frog by the water hazard. The frog says, "kiss me and I will turn into a beautiful woman." The Old guy drops the frog into his golf bag. The frog calls out from the bottom of the bag, "If you kiss me I will become a beautiful woman and make you very happy". The old guy replies into the bag, "At my age I would rather have a talking frog."
Attachments
what is it.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 am

Re: WHAT IS THIS TOOL?

nikkinutshop wrote:https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/6178915384.html
What is this?

https://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Tools-Senio ... B00153SQ70

http://myverdict.net/?p=2291#.WVu3RITythE

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:23 pm

CRAIGSLIST

I was up early this morning for breakfast at Tim Horton's. I always watch for the ladies jogGgGgGing club next door and I also check Craigslist. Only minutes before a seller had posted a British built MYFORD SUPER 7 lathe for sale for $200. I bought a Super 7 35 years ago for $3250.00, I still have it and I really like it. I was the first caller and 30 minutes later we were loading the Myford into my truck. The Myford came with a steady rest, follow rest, a Myford collet set, two three jaw chucks, two four jaw chucks, lots of tooling and about 100 drill-bits.
Having two Myford lathes cant be such a bad thing. Having three lathes is even better. My big lathe is a 1945 South Bend is a 16 inch by 120 inches.
I had to ask if there was anything else for sale. When we left for home, I had purchased a nicely restored Champion Blower and Forge post drill and a large selection of drills and reamers for this machine.
One of the other good buys is a Canadian made FAIRBANKS platform scale complete with weights. This scale is good for about 50 pounds. The date on it is 1885. I am not a "patina person", so this Fairbanks will get a full restoration
Now the seller was getting into the mood and he started pulling out a bunch of stuff. I will keep the list short, but I did buy a set of tin-plated kerosene fueled port and starboard lights and another set of port and starboard kerosene lamps in copper. I got these four for $5 each.
Before we left for home, I had to go to the local RBC and take out more money. I must say, the Ram 2500 sure rides nicer with a load.
I have been home for an hour and the seller just called to say he has more stuff. I agreed to take it all and I don't know what I am getting and I don't care.
Pictures later. :t3909:
Attachments
post drill.jpg
myford2.jpg
not a picture of the lathe I bought, but just the same.
myford parts.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Sounds like my kind of place! I am sure that you will help the stuff find a good home, and probably replace all you spent!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:08 pm

After not using my lathe for nearly a year, I decided to turn out a collet chuck backing plate for my original Myford Super 7. The work was enjoyable and the finished backing plate has .0005" run-out.
I was able to give the Myford lathe I bought last Friday a light inspection. My first impression is years of being covered in sawdust has wicked the lubricant our of all of the joints. The sawdust may have been slightly acidic an there is an even layer of fine patina (rust) on all of the exposed surfaces. Most of the "surface" rust seems to lift off when heavily scrubbed with a 3M green scouring pad. I will have to run a clock-gauge over the ways to check for damage.
I do not think I over-paid at $200, but a few hundred buck more and I would be questioning my judgment call. The number of now rare Myford tooling that came with this lathe and was included in the price kind of makes it better. A good cleaning that should take between 40 - 50 hours will tell if I got a deal or a dud.
If this lathe turn out to be a good working small lathe, my daughter has express interest in owning it.
Attachments
MYFORD TOOLING.jpg
tooling
MYFORD TOOLING 2.jpg
tooling 2
MYFORD TAILSTOCK.jpg
tailstock
MYFORD SECONDARY BELT.jpg
secondary drive belt
MYFORD QUICK CHANGE BOX.jpg
quick change gearbox
MYFORD PRIMARY BELT.jpg
primary belt
MYFORD GEARS.jpg
Myford gears primary
MYFORD COMPOUND.jpg
the compound

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 am

Your Champion Forge drill press looks very much like mine except the one I have appears to be a bigger model and hasn't seen paint in, well, forever. I acquired mine from my grandfather who had owned my '51 IHC. The first thing I noticed was the flywheel on yours has a flat surface probably for the belt from a jack shaft. The flywheel on mine is rounded and there are a couple of smaller diameter flat pulleys for the belt from the the jack shaft. One serves as the drive pulley and the adjacent other one is the idler for when the belt is not driving the press. Just like the comments I get for my truck, "you don't see many of those anymore"!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:25 pm

I don't keep mot of the junk I buy on Craigslist, but there are a few pieces that get to stay here. I think the post drill will be a keeper. This post drill came with a 24 piece set of drill bits specific to this drill. The bits have a 1/2' shank and flat spot for the chuck set screw. I would like to semi-permanent mount the post drill so it can be played with. I might make a mobile stand with a 4X4 wood post with a metal base.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:05 am

Many years ago, I had a stand made for my drill press. Due to its size, the press weighs in over a hundred pounds, so I wanted something sturdy. The stand is made from 3" pipe and the foot print looks like an "H" with the vertical support from the crossbar extending up about 6'. To the support I welded a couple pieces of 3" channel to mount the press on. While it's not very mobile, it is sturdy! I suppose I could add some heavy duty casters to it to make it mobile, however.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion