GETTING RAMMED IN THE WALLET

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: GETTING RAMMED IN THE WALLET

http://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/charts ... weeks.html
As much as I would like to have done my own repairs I had to consider my limitations. The shop is full. I live in an area where the real-estate stands on end. Lloyd knows how steep the lane is. And there is the matter of the weather. At 71 I am not getting off my wheeled shop chair to brave the weather and risk a roll-away. Ibdo not like the feeling of having someone doing what I have always done better.
I have to get my carport emptied of old IHC and then I will have a flat covered place.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:57 am

I'm getting to that point, myself. nothing leaves you more upset than a bad job on something you know how to do yourself.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

CAN I BORROW YOUR TRUCK?

It was an inside job, this time. Number one son borrows my Cummins Ram and the truck is returned with a difficult start situation. I get the 8 year old batteries tested and they are not holding a sufficient charge. $324.76 installed for the big-shot Diesel batteries and the start situation is only a little better. Each subsequent start is becoming less comforting. So the kid asks, "Dad, how old is the starter?" It is an original and after 15 years of overcoming cold starts north of the 49th it would appear the starter is nearing the end of its service life. So, on the advice of the mechanic who will do the re&re tomorrow morning at 09:00 precisely, I called around for a price on a new starter rather than risking another POS rebuild. The low price is $271 at West-Can and the highest was at NAPA at $297. West-Can is on my way to another Doctor's appointment and they will carry the starter out to my vehicle. NAPA will deliver but someone has to be there to sign for it. I have that pesky appointment with the "Do no harm guy" and the rest of the family are sleeping off another night shift.
So, this will be it until the next thing. I like this 2002 Ram 4X4 Diesel, but I think it is getting taller and more difficult for me to drag my sorry a$$ up and into the driver's seat. Do I want to move up a year or two and buy a Ram 1500 HEMI with four doors or lower the side step stainless bars? 400,000km is not all that far for a Cummins and I like the sound a lot. My neighbour hates the agricultural sound and this is a very good reason to keep this compression ignition noise maker alive and here.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 am

sometime a loud exhaust is the best way to treat irritable neighbors.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am

Agreed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Now, this is so much better than before. It took about an hour to change out the starter because one of the bolts was being difficult. Now, I'm waiting for my son to empty the truck of his stuff so I can use it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Nikki,
Granted I don't know your physical capabilities, but from the entries in this forum, I surmise you are experiencing some difficulty walking and, as you said in an earlier post, having increased difficulty getting in and out of your Ram. May I make a suggestion that could be of benefit for the truck entry issue. When we bought our '13 F150, the fixed step bars on it were not comfortable for my wife to use and she expressed her dislike for them - a lot! So having experienced a friends Platinum series F150 with retractable running boards, I suggested that I would investigate them and found they are available from the aftermarket suppliers. Short story is they went on the truck and were an instant success with my wife. The reason I point this in your direction is that they are not as high a step-up as the fixed bars, have a broader step surface, more of a non-skid surface and are lighted with LED lighting when they go down. It may benefit you to visit a couple dealerships and investigate the trucks with the retractable running boards and see if they would be better for your situation or not. I can't recall the brand and I'm out of town away from the information, but an internet search could lead you to a version available to you out west. (Off the top of my head I think the brand is Amp Research and the cost is in the $1300 arena, but I'm not sure what you would pay north of the border. Sounds high, but if they work for you, it's worth it!)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks WEW. I will look into this excellent suggestion. My mobility has improved so much over the last month and I am able to get up and into my Ram2500 with some minor struggling. I don't expect to turn into an Olympic Athlete at any time in the future, so I will take your advice and probably have the power steps installed as a preventative measure. My wife is always complaining about stepping up when she gets in. The Ram is still a very good truck and it is paid for, so a small investment in our comfort may be the best idea. The truck has only 378,000KM and it should last for a long time yet.
Attachments
2002 Dodge @Xing.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 pm

The local CAP-IT truck accessories shop has the same price as AMAZON and they have two sets in stock. . They want $1869.91 for the power steps plus $340 for installation before the tax. If this makes it easier for us to keep and enjoy our 2002 pickup this may be a good investment. We may book an install as earlier as tomorrow.
http://www.amp-research.com/products/tr ... /powerstep
https://youtu.be/759OWGFMBcc

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:55 pm

I have a 2007 Tundra that i just got a letter on stating that I have until mid June to bring it in to have it inspected for frame rust. If found they will replace the frame . This news makes me a little queasy. They will totally blow my truck apart and put back together, will it ever be the same. As far as being rammed in the A$$ I had to buy a ignition module for my green lawn mower last year, dealer wanted 85.00 US, bought one on line for 10.85 runs just as well with out the green paint. Pays to shop around but some days you have to bite the bullet to get things moving, such is life
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion