Sunrise Towing Service

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 am

Re: Sunrise Towing Service

I have started looking at my frame options. I don't want to be in a situation where we need a long frame sooner than later and few options. Our "R" Orrville Crewcab needs about 36 inches of additional frame ahead of an 8 foot box. The frame needs to be a simple ladder design, so there are options. I have looked at motorhome frames and IHC bigger truck frames. I am not adverse to building a frame, but I am trying to check out all the options.
My welder friend says he has modified many frames from light duty trucks to heavy haul rigs as part of his job duties. Everything ad to be inspected. A square butt weld was an instant fail unless the frame had additional strength added. The preferred method was a "Z" cut with a 45 degree cut on the flanges.
There are rules for frame modification for big rigs and similar reduced version should work on light duty.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Lloyd, you know what I'd do with the L. :) I'd put a later frame under it. F150? Silverado? I'm thinking my Japanese conversions aren't powerful enough for you.
1988 up or so when Chevy started TBI would be a great donor. The TBI stuff is awesomely easy to work on and parts are everywhere. We have a local company that put K series on Chevy. Suppposed to fit very well...if K fits then L should fly on...SO much room under all that front sheetmetal.
I have two R pickups in the back. It makes me want to go start one of those frame swaps right now.
Too bad it's 110F or some **** thing out. :(

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:01 pm

I have often wondered if the drive train and frame from one of those Ford of Chevy/GM van conversions to a box-truck might swap. The cab back looks like an old style flat frame.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not want an uneven body line from cab to bed, and I definitely do not want to cut up/out my good bed floor. Currently it sits at 127" wheel base and am thinking of adding 24" to the cab. Upgraded power and running is a must, but The less I have to do the better and cheaper.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Lloyd,
The L 150 was available with a 154" wheelbase. If someone is parting one out, maybe you could get the frame and put your 1/2 ton suspension under it.

https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/5 ... 22781834/1

I know the frame is a different width, so that would have to be dealt with. Sorry for butting in in the middle of your thread Monson.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Yes, sorry, and Yes I had an L150 but at the time the L112 was up in Canada and I thought I had the issue dealt with, so off to scrap. Actually not much different in width. Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Lloyd, If you don't want to cut the floor out of the bed or cab an almost flat or nearly flat donor frame is what you want. I think 80/90s Chevy full size pickup has that. Leaves out S10, Japanese pickups that have big kicks over rear axle. Every old (late 30's and up) 1/2 ton stock pickup frame I know of has a little bump in the frame over the rear axle. So the stock IHC bed can accomodate that, at least.
I have a few other suggestions as to donor, though. You want fuel injection, a/t, p/s, p/b, a/c, highway gears. You might find a carbureted pickup cheaper. However, they lack modern driveability, serviceability and parts availability. Do not under any circumstances buy a "computer carb" vehicle. By that I mean the horrendous 1980 or so to late 1980's carburetted trucks that have computer controls. TBI is fuel injection no matter how much it looks like a carburetor. Night and day difference in driveability, serviceability with fuel injection. It is SO consistent.
If you get a chance to go newer yet get one of the 2000s Chevy LS engine pickup donors ( 4.8, 5.3, 6.0l) trucks. They are the new gold standard. Stay clear of the early Vortec mid 90s up with the injectors inside the intake manifold. They are becoming a real expensive pain to fix.
I prefer vacuum operated power brakes. Hydro-boost is just added complexity on a gas engine, I think.
Are you gonna go 4wd?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Nikki, do you have a picture of that Orrville Cab you can post, again?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Here is a link to some Orrville pictures I posted on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6500&p=48854&hilit=orrville#p48854

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Had not really thought about 4x4. Will look into it.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion