Gone over to the "dark side"

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 05, 2024 1:08 am

Re: Gone over to the "dark side"

cornbinder89 wrote:Oh, and forgot to answer your question about Hybrid:
My brother has Prius and recommends them, however for the cost of the Leaf, I would be buying a used Prius with high 100K or low 200k miles. He runs them up until 300K and then sells. I didn't want something with that many miles, but on the other hand, they are not range limited like an all electrics.

Be careful with the Prius - a company I worked for had a fleet of them. I remember hearing repair parts can be very expensive. I remember hearing in a meeting someone in my company contacted someone in Prius complaining about the high cost of headlights (well over $1000 dollars each). Their response was they are LED and should last the life of the car. We countered but when someone backs into the car in a parking lot and breaks one, the cost is outrageous. They said they never thought of that.
And we were warned about the computer display screen - we've had a few of those go out and the dealer wholesale cost is $1700.
Just passing along my little bit of Prius knowledge/experience from 5 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 05, 2024 7:25 am

Re: Gone over to the "dark side"

My brother has the Prius, and yeah, your comments really apply to any new car, LED headlights are on almost any newer vehicle and cost a fortune. He has had good luck with his.
I have the Leaf and have had it for about 6 months. No problems other than one "self induced" one that required clearing some codes and no dollars to fix.
Car has limited range and I knew that going in, but it handles 99% or greater of our trips at 1/2 the cost of our Camry or Saab. For my use it fits the need perfectly.
I love being able to "fuel" it at home. I use about 7.5Kwh/day to run our trips or less. (It varies by where we go and outside temp)
Not having to work on our "daily driver" has allowed me more time on my K's. Just finished putting a receiver hitch on the rear of my '42 and am going to start on the carburetors on all the 269's I have.
Someday I'll have to think about if I want to install a new traction battery in the Leaf, but for now it does what I want very economically.
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion